Dusted off the 660.

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Re: Dusted off the 660.

Post by Les »

I 'think' if you have already downloaded BaseCamp, then you can download Mapsource from Garmin's website.
ScramblerChris
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

Thanks Les, I will try that tomorrow.

Chris
ScramblerChris
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

Just loaded Mapsource without any problems. I notice that the Map pane on the left-hand side is empty, is that usual? I read somewhere that you can't load maps from the device unlike for Basecamp, I guess that is linked? Did a transfer from the device to Mapsource though and it loaded some old, very old tracks!

Some of it is already coming back to me but some reading and work is required to get back up to speed.

Thanks again for all the help. Can't wait to start planning a route again.

Chris
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I have both Basecamp and Mapsource installed. If you install the map to the default directory on your computer, then both Basecamp and Mapsource can see the same map.

The map tab of the left hand window is empty on my version of mapsource. The drop down list ont he menu shows that it is using 2.24.1 at present, although 3 other maps are still available for me to select.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Les
Great Britain

Post by Les »

ScramblerChris wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:13 pm I notice that the Map pane on the left-hand side is empty, is that usual?
The map pane will fill up as you create routes.
Panel.jpg
Panel.jpg (84.24 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
ScramblerChris
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

Thanks John and Les.

When installing Basecamp (good that I did first) the map was loaded into the default location and was picked up by Mapsource as it shows the old tracks/routes that I transferred in from the 660.

Further question. Space is getting a bit tight on the 660 (don't want to use a MicroSD card until I have to) and also to have a tidy up I've deleted old routes and Favourites using the menu etc. I've still been able to transfer data, including logs, from the unit so obviously stuff is being left on there. Can I delete the GPX files in the Archive folder - it contains files named 1.gpx to 9.gpx and dating from 2011 to 2017 so I assume these are old routes I tranferred in? If so, is there anything else I can safely remove? I had a handful of JPEGs on there which I've removed apart from that for the splash screen and I've never put any music files on it. What about the files in the Text (apart from British_English) and Voice (remove anything not "English") folders?
Les
Great Britain

Post by Les »

I deleted everything I could on my 660 including all the voices except the one I used, and still didn't have room for all the European maps I wanted.

I ended up with a SD card.. :roll:
ScramblerChris
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

Thanks Les. Since posting I've been reading other threads on removing files (some posts by John) and have gleaned that files not needed from folders Text, Voice, Vehicle and Help can be deleted along with temp.gpx and Current.gpx

I shall make a backup before deleting though!

May have to resort to a card at some point but it's good to have a clear out!
kernowing
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

You'll certainly need an SD card Chris if you want to load much of Europe on the 660. I have one in mine and it works well.
After your previous posts I looked at Mapsource (I always use BC now for route planning) I was interested to see that the latest map was available on there- NT2024.1 which I'd recently downloaded to my PC and 660 as @jfheath pointed out.
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Les
Great Britain

Post by Les »

kernowing wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:48 am I was interested to see that the latest map was available on there- NT2024.1 which I'd recently downloaded to my PC and 660 as @jfheath pointed out.
All map updates are available on Mapsource and always have been. See my picture above 👆👌

Just to add, I also use a Camper 760 which has NTU mapset, that I also use on Mapsource.