Where to get best free maps for Zumo 396?

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
sweetman
Italy

Where to get best free maps for Zumo 396?

Post by sweetman »

Hello all,
I'm using the default maps for my Zumo 396: EU North and EU south.
But they seem quite approximative: when I get back to home I get a prompt to do a U turn when, actually, I just need to turn left.
So, my question is: is there a free map that is better than the pre-installed ones?
Where can I download it?
TIA
tony
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Where to get best free maps for Zumo 396?

Post by sussamb »

Don't believe you'll find a better one for on road navigation. Hopefully you know how to drive the last bit at home.
sweetman
Italy

Post by sweetman »

sussamb wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:04 pm Don't believe you'll find a better one for on road navigation. Hopefully you know how to drive the last bit at home.
Sure, I know how to get at home. :lol:
But this is clearly a map error.
So, just loading another map instead of the default ones will not solve the problem?
TIA
tony
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

As I said, for on road navigation I don't believe there is a better one than the Garmin CN series. You can always report map errors to Garmin, or HERE, who provide the map to Garmin
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

This wiki has links to sources of Garmin-compatible OpenStreetMaps, which are free:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM ... n/Download.

I've found that there are differences in style and detail, so you may want to try a few different sources.

I've used the U.S. maps from https://www.openmapchest.org/, but I prefer the Garmin City Navigator maps, which can display the speed limit. The OSM maps sometimes have too much detail and color. That's OK for hiking, but I don't have time to sort through the clutter to see the road when I glance at the screen while riding.

I have been able to get map errors corrected through the Garmin web site. A portion of a two-way road was mapped as one-way, and a route could not be built in both directions. I included a full description of the problem with co-ordinates and even some links to Google street views.