Zumo 396 no voice indications

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
sweetman
Italy

Zumo 396 no voice indications

Post by sweetman »

Hello all,
I can't make use of my Zumo 396. I get only the first voice prompt and then... nothing. I'm abandoned to myself or the screen.
I've set a simple trip (home to work) and it didn't work. Silence all over the whole trip. I've got only a work in progress alert... and the satellite alert in a gallery...
This way it's useless to me.
Is there a setting to check?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Tony
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 396 no voice indications

Post by Oop North John »

How are you hoping to hear the instructions, bluetooth headset, or from the 396 internal speaker?
sweetman
Italy

Post by sweetman »

I connected the head set (cardo freecom 1+) to zumo. So I ear notifications from the headset. It works, but when starting a new trip I only ear the first indication and then ... nothing else...
Tony
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

I'm no Bluetooth expert, but would suggest trying to re-pair the 396 and the headset.

Have you tried to switch off the GPS receiver in the settings and then simulating the route, both with the 396 Bluetooth not connected, and with it connected?
sweetman
Italy

Post by sweetman »

after reading some other comments I disabled a custom map I downloaded months ago. Now I have only the default map active.
I will post here my results.
tony
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I know nothing of the 396 but know that on the XT there is an option to disable spoken navigation. Perhaps that option exists on the 396. It is under the Volume button on the XT.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

A sideways look at this.

You get the first prompt and then nothing. That suggests that the sound connection is ok.

So my guess is that the Zumo isn't saying anything !

A situation that would create this situation.

You have your start point very close to where you start riding.
And you have off-route recalculation turned off.

What happens is that you set off before the satnav has recognised that you are at the start (or the start is misplaced by a few metres). Either way, you do not pass through it. The magenta line is plotted in the way you want to go, but the XT is actually waiting for you to start the route. And because you have auto-recalc turned off, it stops navigating you because you are not on the route.

You think you are, 'cos you are on the magenta line. But you haven't gone through the start point yet.

Maybe, maybe not. But I have seen numerous people complain about this behaviour - but it is user misunderstanding.

Never put your start point anywhere near to where you set off. It always makes more sense to have it a good way from where you set off - on the first road that you want to be on after escaping the locality.

I may be wrong, but it is worth the suggestions.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sweetman
Italy

Post by sweetman »

jfheath wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:38 pm A sideways look at this.

You get the first prompt and then nothing. That suggests that the sound connection is ok.

So my guess is that the Zumo isn't saying anything !

A situation that would create this situation.

You have your start point very close to where you start riding.
And you have off-route recalculation turned off.

What happens is that you set off before the satnav has recognised that you are at the start (or the start is misplaced by a few metres). Either way, you do not pass through it. The magenta line is plotted in the way you want to go, but the XT is actually waiting for you to start the route. And because you have auto-recalc turned off, it stops navigating you because you are not on the route.

You think you are, 'cos you are on the magenta line. But you haven't gone through the start point yet.

Maybe, maybe not. But I have seen numerous people complain about this behaviour - but it is user misunderstanding.

Never put your start point anywhere near to where you set off. It always makes more sense to have it a good way from where you set off - on the first road that you want to be on after escaping the locality.

I may be wrong, but it is worth the suggestions.
Hello jfheath,
off-route recalculation is set to automatic.
When I set a trip, I set the destination. Then, it's the navigator that should get my current position.
Tony
sweetman
Italy

Post by sweetman »

finally I decided to reset the Zumo to factory default using the service menu and wiping all data.
I deleted unused maps using Javawa and reconfigured leaving most to default.
This morning I've set a test trip to my work and it worked as expected: turn indications, voice prompts... a real navigator, now!
TIA to all
tony