how to use Garmin Tread on a PC

Got an How To Guide you want to share? Please use this section.
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

how to use Garmin Tread on a PC

Post by Thrasherg »

I have just purchased a garmin XT2, I tried connecting it to my PC and using basecamp (which is how I use my zumo XT), but I get a pop-up that states the XT2 is not compatible with basecamp and to use Tread (the maps from my XT2 is not seen by basecamp so I have very little detail). I can get Tread to run on my phone or iPad, but the screens are far too small for map planning, I want to use Tread on my PC with my large monitors.. Can anyone tell me how I get Tread to work on a PC so I can use my large screen? I couldn't find anything with a web search..

Many thanks.

Gary
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: how to use Garmin Tread on a PC

Post by Thrasherg »

surely I can't be the only one wanting to create GPX routes on a screen larger than a tablet or phone? Does Garmin offer any other solution for creating gpx files that can run on a PC?
ZFtracker
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by ZFtracker »

Sorry, I have a 590 so no help. But you might try the XT2 section, Garmin Zumo XT2
Zumo 590
Montana 610
Drive 60
inReach Mini
arwV8
Has liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by arwV8 »

I too have just purchased an XT2 and got the same message re - device not supported. That sucks. I've used Basecamp since 2010 and got used to its foibles. So started poking around on the web and found this guy on You Tube
and he 'stumbled' across using garmin connect as a tool. I tried it and it works for all roads/trails where hikers, cyclists, Mountain bikers etc can access, so green lanes off road trails permitted access roads etc. But not highways/motorways. I did a 120mile trip into wales from the cotswolds and it followed the track /route created in Connect and exported via email to phone read by Tread app (also tested just by copying to the GPX folder on device too - per the XT2 manual)
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I've not seen anyone report an actual problem when using Basecamp with a Tread. The "not supported" pop-up is probably just Garmin's way of saying they will not provide assistance if you use the two together. They are trying to get users away from Basecamp, which they stopped developing years ago.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I too have heard that the XT2 will work with BaseCamp. We know that a gpx file created in BaseCamp can be emailed to a phone, shared to the Tread app, and then transferred to the XT2 so that is a worst cast workaround. What I am wondering though is whether the 'Install map to PC' functionality exists with the XT2 and Garmin Express.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
arwV8
Great Britain

Post by arwV8 »

My issue is that the xt2 is not recognised by basecamp, so I can't see the files route or tracklogs (the bread crumbs track of your trips) etc. I have yet to figure out how to get the tracklogs from the device or is it tread holding them somewhere? I've used the historical data (tracks, routed poi and waypoints) from various past garmin navigators to create new routes. Just had to connect the navigator to pc, basecamp would allow read copy etc from the nav to the basecamp lists. Then manipulate as required in basecamp (often using OS maps 1:25000 and Google earth on separate screens to finalise or fine tune and save as a new track /route and send to device. Easy!
What I haven't tried is connecting the xt2 with tread app not running to see if basecamp allows access. I doubt it though!
Is there a way to run the tread app on the pc so have a nice big 24 inch screen for route planning? So one can have say Google earth open on another screen for fine detail routing/creating a track. I've looked around and it doesn't appear possible. How rubbish is that, when basecamp (and mapsource) used allow such use and have the maps etc loaded on the pc so the navigator didn't have to be being worn out while spending hours of planning. Using a tablet with what looks like osm maps on a small screen required a lot of panning and zooming in and out especially for a 10 day spanish road trip.
I'm a newbie to the xt2 and thus tread app so have alot of learning ahead, so apologies if I have missed something with my questions/ issues.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

arwV8 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:24 pm My issue is that the xt2 is not recognised by basecamp, so I can't see the files route or tracklogs (the bread crumbs track of your trips) etc. I have yet to figure out how to get the tracklogs from the device or is it tread holding them somewhere?
On the XT, the most recent tracklogs are written to Internal Storage\GPX\CurrentTrackLogs.gpx with older ones in the Archive folder. If that holds true for the XT2 then copying those files to your PC and then opening them with BaseCamp could be a workaround. I just realized that a made the assumption that the XT2 allows its files to be accessed by a PC. I hope that is the case.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
arwV8
Great Britain

Post by arwV8 »

Thanks Peobody, will take a look when back at base later this week.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Peobody wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:43 pm I too have heard that the XT2 will work with BaseCamp. We know that a gpx file created in BaseCamp can be emailed to a phone, shared to the Tread app, and then transferred to the XT2 so that is a worst cast workaround. What I am wondering though is whether the 'Install map to PC' functionality exists with the XT2 and Garmin Express.
I'm not sure about installing the maps to the computer, but using the XT2 map via USB apparently does work.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/garm ... t-47690981