Map update

Having problems with your BMW navigator 5? then please post here with any sat nav, software, mount or cradle problems.
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Map update

Post by yorky »

Hi,
I'm trying to install Basecamp map updates to a friends Nav V. I have the latest version of Express and my computer is running Windows 11. The problem seems to be that the PC does not recognise the Nav V, which it used to do. I know the Nav V used to show as a "removable drive" (??) but no longer shows at all.
Any suggestions please??
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Map update

Post by sussamb »

You can't install BaseCamp maps unless the other device is authorised to use them, which is unlikely, or have I misunderstood your question? If so please clarify what exactly you're trying to do. Thanks
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

If I'm not mistaken, don't you have to put the Nav unit into MTP transfer mode, for the PC to see it.

+ what sussamb said, you have to have the correct map and unlock key for it to work.

You might be able to use OSM maps, I use them on my SP2810.
yorky
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

sussamb wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:03 pm You can't install BaseCamp maps unless the other device is authorised to use them, which is unlikely, or have I misunderstood your question? If so please clarify what exactly you're trying to do. Thanks
Thanks for the response. I have updated this particular Nav V unit a number of times for the owner. As I said, my (new) laptop now does not recognise it.
yorky
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

electro_handyman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:08 pm If I'm not mistaken, don't you have to put the Nav unit into MTP transfer mode, for the PC to see it.
Thanks, any ideas how I put the Nav V into MTP transfer mode?? :)
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

yorky wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:13 pm Thanks for the response. I have updated this particular Nav V unit a number of times for the owner. As I said, my (new) laptop now does not recognise it.
Considering that the laptop is new...
- Make sure that USB port works with a different USB device
- Reboot, cold boot, not restart.
- Try a different USB ports
- Check power management settings to make sure USB ports are not being powered-off
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
yorky
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

Peobody wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:52 pm
yorky wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:13 pm Thanks for the response. I have updated this particular Nav V unit a number of times for the owner. As I said, my (new) laptop now does not recognise it.
Considering that the laptop is new...
- Make sure that USB port works with a different USB device
- Reboot, cold boot, not restart.
- Try a different USB ports
- Check power management settings to make sure USB ports are not being powered-off
Thanks for the ideas @Peobody but I know the USB port and cable are good as I have updated my XT using the same.
I have also found how to change the Nav V from MTB mode into Mass Storage mode, either one of these and the Nav V is still not being recognised by my laptop or when searching using Garmin Express. :(

Another thought was that although the Nav V has" Lifetime Updates" could it be that in Garmins view this Lifetime has now expired?? That may be the case but surely the computer and Express should still recognise that the unit is connected??
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Does it need some drivers installing to make it work?

I have had this before with the 590 I had

Try this
Right-click the Start button
Click Device Manager
Right-click the Garmin device*under Other devices or*Portable devices
If it is unclear which device is the Garmin device unplug the*device, note which device disappears then reconnect the device after waiting 5 seconds
Click Update Driver Software
Click Browse my computer for driver software
Click Let me pick from a list of list of device drivers on my computer
Click Portable Devices
Click Next
Click MTP USB Device
Click Next*
When the installation completes, check to see if the device is recognized by the Garmin application
yorky
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

Stu wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:16 am Does it need some drivers installing to make it work?

I have had this before with the 590 I had

Try this
Right-click the Start button
Click Device Manager
Right-click the Garmin device*under Other devices or*Portable devices
If it is unclear which device is the Garmin device unplug the*device, note which device disappears then reconnect the device after waiting 5 seconds
Click Update Driver Software
Click Browse my computer for driver software
Click Let me pick from a list of list of device drivers on my computer
Click Portable Devices
Click Next
Click MTP USB Device
Click Next*
When the installation completes, check to see if the device is recognized by the Garmin application
Cheers Stu, I've tried that and still no joy, in either MTP mode or Mass Storage. On my laptop there is only one thing shows under Other Devices and it's nothing to do with Garmin. I also tried it on the wifes laptop and nothing shows under Other Devices.
I'm beginning to think this could be Windows 11 / Older Garmin related. As said I updated an XT with no issues.
I will try to find someone I know who is still running Windows 10 (or earlier) and try the update that way. I will let you know the outcome :)
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Some of the newer computers have fast USB 3.0/3.1 ports that are troublesome with older USB 2.0 devices. New Macs are notorious for this, but I've also had trouble transferring large amounts of data over USB from my PC to my XT and some external hard drives. I've been able to work around that by making the connection through a USB hub. The hub does not seem to slow the transfer, but maybe it changes the timing of the data being transferred? I don't really know, it just works for me.