2024.1 maps cannot be authenticated

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
waspanman
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

2024.1 maps cannot be authenticated

Post by waspanman »

Despite offering the latest 2024.1 map update through Garmin Express the only regions offered to download directly are North Eastern Europe, Germany or Turkey???, the full mapsets can be downloaded to my computer, and appear in both Mapsource and Basecamp. Attempting to load the omitted sections of Europe via Mapinstall in either Mapsource or Basecamp results in the maps not being recognised, accompanied by the usual cannot authenticate maps message.
In previous iterations a more varied selection of European regions was offered, sadly most of them useless if you planned to tour more than one country
It is sad that Garmin Express cannot interrogate my unit to see its maximised memory at 64gb
Garmin are determined to reduce the usability of the 660 in pursuit of sales of the latest models.
Fortunately I have only tried to update one of my 660's, so at least I still have one as a backup, so now back to reinstalling 2023.1.
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Re: 2024.1 maps cannot be authenticated

Post by Les »

I had similar issues with my Zumo 660, however I was able to download all the maps I wanted directly to the installed memory card via Mapinstall.

Express didn't recognise that a memory card was in the unit, telling me not enough memory.

It’s all OK now with 2024.1 loaded.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

How is the 64Gb card formatted? They aren't FAT32 by default so Express and your device won't see them, it's why Garmin say up to 32Gb
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Windows formatting tools limit FAT32 formatting to 32GB resulting in the 64GB card having a capacity of only 32GB. There are third party utilities that will format a 64GB card as FAT32 leaving the full 64GB capacity that the XT will recognize. I don't remember the utility I used. I think it was the HP USB Disk Formatting tool but I am not certain. There are a number of utilities out there that say they do this.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
waspanman
Great Britain

Post by waspanman »

The micro SD card in the unit has been installed for years and has not failed before, the maps offered by Express are of no use unless you live in Eastern Europe or Turkey, loading additional maps using Garmin software, should not present these problems, especially as i am authorised to use them as a registered owner of three units, 2 x 660's and an XT.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If your card is formatted as FAT32 then it should work. Has Express installed all your maps in the past? If it has then its difficult to understand why now is an issue unless the card has gone bad?
waspanman
Great Britain

Post by waspanman »

The map segment installed via express is fine, but of no use as I never travel in Poland. The rest of Europe installed via mapinstall is the non functioning part.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If you used MapInstall to install a map from your PC sent there by Express for another device then it won't work. Ideally you need to resolve the Express issue with that device. If it's not recognising the installed card try another one.
waspanman
Great Britain

Post by waspanman »

Success, I uninstalled all 2024 mapping, Basecamp and Express and reloaded anew, it took time but worked in the end.
So no problem with the SD card, it was all down to Garmin.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Not sure how you draw that conclusion as the vast majority had no issues downloading the map but glad you resolved it.