Off-route message when you are not

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Off-route message when you are not

Post by danham »

Just got back from a 1000-mile road trip (cage, unfortunately) to the northern Adirondacks. This was my first long drive using A to B navigation, letting the XT pick the routes. Several times it said I was off route when I definitely was not. All but one of the times it was on a cloverleaf -- a system of tightly curved ramps to allow exiting or entering a limited access divided highway. One time it was on a straight stretch of highway but there was a lane shift due to construction.

All of this leads me to believe that the XT has almost no tolerance for slight map or satellite fix errors, meaning if it thinks the XT is 10 feet (or maybe even less) to the right or left of what it defines as the route, it panics. Easy enough to deal with by forcing it to ask to recalculate and then saying No, but I wonder if this behavior -- very different from my previous zumo 660 -- is at the root of other weird routing issues?

I'm headed (bike) to the West Virginia mountains next week and I hope those twisty roads don't put the XT into constant panic mode on pre-planned routes.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Off-route message when you are not

Post by Peobody »

I agree that the XT can be quick to generate an off-route message. Highway on and off ramps are a common location, as are roads running parallel to each other divided only by jersey barriers or guardrails. I have found that responding 'no' to the recalc request is the end of it. The XT usually quickly realizes that I am on-route and carries on. My recalc is set to "Prompt".
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I have found mine the opposite!

I find that it takes a while before it recognises I am off route
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

I get my off route/recalc when the road locations are newer than the maps..... multiple times the map thought I was in the middle of a field that is now a road.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:57 pm I agree that the XT can be quick to generate an off-route message. Highway on and off ramps are a common location, as are roads running parallel to each other divided only by jersey barriers or guardrails. I have found that responding 'no' to the recalc request is the end of it. The XT usually quickly realizes that I am on-route and carries on. My recalc is set to "Prompt".
This ^ is my experience and actions too. Answering no to prompted recalc helps a lot. This lack of tolerance is also how we (I) learned to place the start point down the road- I couldn't figure out the exact spot in the huge meeting place parking lot to cross in so I could quit the u-turn instruction when starting out.

I've also had the "middle of the field" experience with new roads not updated yet. Same with a closed road detour- I answer no, I'll meet back up with the route later, it'll be ok.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A