Track to Trip Calculation Errors

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Track to Trip Calculation Errors

Post by TripleThreat719 »

I've created a 3 day trip from Central Indiana over to the Northern Entry Point on the Blue Ridge Parkway down to Knoxville, TN with a couple of overnight camping stops on the way. Preferring to follow the Blue Ridge Parkway the entire length.

I've created a Routes and have drug the route to fit my preferred roads for days two and three.
I then created Tracks from the Routes in Basecamp and exported the entire list as a GPX 1.1 file.
I then sent the GPX file to myself via text, opened it on my iPhone and sent it to the Explore App.
A collection gets created in my Explore account and it syncs with my XT
When I view the map, I can see all of the tracks displayed on the screen
When I attempt to convert the tracks to a trip, the first day will calculate fine (I didn't modify the Route that Basecamp created by dragging the route to fit specific roads on day one.
Day 2 of the trip will calculate up to about 40% and then the XT boots back to the startup screen.
Day 3 of the trip does the same.
All of the points I've inserted on these two days were done by dragging the route to shape the intended path and have been set to not announce "Command K"

I have deleted all other saved tracks (except a few that will be run at an event we are going to and all other saved trips from the XT.

Mapset CNA 2024.1 on Basecamp (4.8.11) and XT (V6.50)
Mac Studio running OS 13.4
Calculation set for Faster Time in Basecamp and on the XT
Avoidances for Interstates and Unpaved Roads
Car Pool Lanes, U-Turns, Seasonal Road Closures, Cable Car, Climbing Paths & Narrow Trails.

Day 1 Track has: 7822 Points and Covers 468 Miles
Day 2 Track has: 8238 Points and Covers 449 Miles
Day 3 Track has: 6258 Points and Covers 271 Miles

All three files fall well under the 15,000 point limit.

I have tried splitting the Day 2 and Day 3 tracks in half and it makes no difference. Calculation freezes at some point and the XT reboots.

I've tried sending one track at a time and creating a separate collection for each track. When trying to convert to a trip, I get the same error on Day 2 and Day 3.

I've racked my brain on this file for hours trying to figure out what is wrong and can't seem to find the issue.

We are set to leave in about a week for a total of 10 days away, day 2 and 3 are giving me fits...

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: Track to Trip Calculation Errors

Post by electro_handyman »

Try removing your avoidance's and recalculate. I've been on the parkway this year and last year and there are sections that are closed with detours.
Not saying that's the answer, but something to try.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Have you tried transferring one of those routes directly from BaseCamp to the XT rather than trying to create a trip from a track?

FWIW, I have never messed with converting tracks to trips, and I have avoided Explore, so my viewpoint is solely from working with BaseCamp to the XT, either USB connected, or saving as a .gpx, emailing that, picking it up with my phone, then transferring it to the XT using the Drive app.
BTW, I create tracks out of routes on BaseCamp and transfer those to the XT as well so I can have them shown on the map.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

Update:

When sending the entire list from Basecamp to the XT through Explore, the Routes do not transfer over to the collection and then to the XT, only the tracks...

Based on the suggestion above:
  • I attempted to "Export Selected User Data" with only one of the Routes selected in Basecamp, as a GPX 1.1 file to the desktop on my Mac Studio.
  • From there, I texted that GPX file to my iPhone.
  • I opened the GPX file, and rather than sharing it with Explore, I shared it only with Drive.
  • Drive then asked me if I wanted to send the GPX file to my device, to which I answered Yes.
  • The XT then informed me that a New Trip and New Locations were received and saved to the XT.
  • Upon opening the Trip Planner App, the Route was now visible.
  • I selected the Route and said GO.
  • The XT asked if I wanted to start the Route from the Closest Entry Point, the Beginning or End.
    I selected the Beginning.
  • The XT then calculated the Route to the Start of the Actual Route and indicated that the Route to the start required Tolls and asked if I wanted it to calculate a different Route that Avoided Tolls, to which I answered Yes.
  • Upon calculating the Route to the Start, I then selected GO and looked at the map (where I also had the "Track" displayed) to verify if the Route I had imported was true to the Track in Basecamp, which it appears to be...
This appears to work... I am unclear as to why, when Exporting the entire "list" from Basecamp to a GPX 1.1 file, that the Routes do not get sent to the XT when shared with Explore, only the Tracks. Nothing is present in the Trip Planner App, even though the Routes were a part of the List in Basecamp that was exported to the GPX 1.1 file.

I typically work from Tracks most of the time and send them to the XT via Explore, where a collection is created and all POIs retain their custom icons, and then create Trips from them in order to get turn-by-turn audible directions.

For this particular trip, it made sense to plug in the Start POI and the Destination POI, and then drag the Route to my preferred roads (and set all the Vias to non-alerting or Shaping Points) since I was covering such long distances. Building a Track for that far would have taken much more time.

We'll see how this ends up working out in practice next week when I leave.

Thanks to @Peobody for the suggestion. On the surface, it appears to have worked...