Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Bowlin01
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Wierd things happening after map & software update

Post by Bowlin01 »

Hi All,

I'd like some help to solve the following issues please which have started following a recent map & software update. Garmin Drive informed me that there was both a map & software update which needed doing which would take 3 1/2 hours. So I plugged the XT into the wall and set it going. Upon checking it some hours later it was displaying a "there was an error" type message.

When turning on the XT it had no maps, so I did a map install and checked for any updates whilst the XT was plugged into the PC. (No other updates were found).

Now, when I'm using the XT the following issues crop up>
1. I no longer get 'junction/ signpost' pictures on the righthand side of the screen which are really useful on the Motorways/ Highways, (depending upon where you are from) and no loner get 'turn' pictures top left of the screen.
2. Many of the POI 'flags' do not contain symbols anymore they are just blamk/ white labels. If I 'click' on the white. blank flag then the relevant Cafe/ Restaurant info is then displayed. BUT this does not happen for all POIs, some display in the normal manner.
3. Not all roads are 'recognised' any more (the names do not appear and I get descriptions such as 'residential road' or 'slip road') rather than the road names I used to get
3. Searching for road names doesn't work anymore it just whirrs away as though it is searching, but I don't get any results
4. The XT doesn't seem to 'remember' my display preferences, I like the trip info displayed on the right hand side of the screen, but I have to tell it that everytime I turn the unit on now.

I'm guessing that some sort of corruption happened during the software and or map install (unless anyone else is having these problems and it is a software issue?

Can anyone help me solve these issues please? I was enjoying using teh XT, but now it's next to useless.

Many Thanks
Steve
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Re: Wierd things happening after map & software update

Post by lkraus »

First, I'd do a hard reset - see viewtopic.php?p=14690#p14690

Then hook the XT to a computer with a USB cord and let Garmin Express install any updates that are available. If no updates are shown, at least Re-install the maps.

I've not given my XT access to my wi-fi. I just consider the USB cable to be more reliable for updates, and that is the only thing the XT can do with wi-fi.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I agree with @lkraus about not letting the XT update via wi-fi. The one time I allowed it I had to reinstall the map.

I do not react when the Drive app says there is an update available. I will always connect the XT to Express, let Express determine what is available, and then use Express do the updates on my terms.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Bowlin01
Great Britain

Post by Bowlin01 »

@lkraus and @Peobody , thank you both very much, I'll uninstall Garmin Drive and only use Garmin Express from now on.

I have followed your advice and reinstalled maps (via Garmin Express) and certainly the 'street search' function is back and working. I'll be trying to use the XT for a trip again tomorrow so hopefully the other issues are also solved as well.

Many Thanks to you both.

Steve
lkraus
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Bowlin01 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:07 pm @lkraus and @Peobody , thank you both very much, I'll uninstall Garmin Drive and only use Garmin Express from now on.

I have followed your advice and reinstalled maps (via Garmin Express) and certainly the 'street search' function is back and working. I'll be trying to use the XT for a trip again tomorrow so hopefully the other issues are also solved as well.

Many Thanks to you both.

Steve
I'd keep Drive - it uses the Bluetooth connection to your phone, letting you transfer routes and destinations to the XT, as well as weather and traffic updates. Just disable the wi-fi connection to your home network. (Settings>Wireless Networks>Wi-Fi checkbox)
Great Britain

Post by Bowlin01 »

Damnation, I spoke too soon.

Tried it out again today and still not getting:
1- Next action in the route (Indicate next turn, exit or other action and the lane in which you should travel, if availabe.
2- Distance to the next action
3- Active Lane Guidance

I have done a Reset of the XT, is there anything else anyone can suggest as the XT is not a helpful tool in this state.

Many Thanks
Steve
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

I'd call Garmin support
lkraus
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Are there any other maps active? Having more than one "routable" map active can lead to some undesirable results.
Great Britain

Post by Bowlin01 »

lkraus wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:47 am Are there any other maps active? Having more than one "routable" map active can lead to some undesirable results.
oooh this might be a thing! Yes following the recent map update I have several maps on the XT (I don't know why, as I didn't request them) at the moment I have the following listed on the XT:-

1.CN Europe NTU 2024.10 ALL South
2. CN EUrope NTU 2024.10 ALL North
3. CN Europe NTU 202.20 Foursquare
4.CN Europe NTU 2024.10 Foursquare
5. Europe DEM
6. Junglinster Luzembourg, Schengen, Luxembourg PRI
7. Freizeitkarte_GBR (Release 22.09) (68260001)

I added the last one a while ago as it is more detailed in the UK and shows more of the 'grenn lanes'/ off-road trails.

What maps do others use? (I'm in the UK) What maps are recommended? If I 'untick' themaps is that enough to try different combinations or do I have to physicaly have to remove them?

Many Thanks
Steve
Rofor
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@Bowlin01 - this seem's to be the culprit!

Sadly Garmin never told this exactly - but there should be no more than one routable map active, this causes many problems like missing voice announcements, missing turn signs and so on!

At your example, number 1 to number 5 are 'original' from Garmin, 6 and 7 must be installed by yourself:

1 and 2 are the maps from City Navigator Europe (routable!), they are splitted because of file limitations in the Zumo XT FAT32 file system
3 and 4 are not really maps, these are some sort of POIs and should not make any harm, if enabled
5 is a map, which is necessary to display the 3D view on the other maps (hill-shading and so on)
6 and 7 are OSM maps and normally also routable, and that should be the problem!

As said before - every time only one routable map should be active, in your example:

CN Europe (both parts) OR Junglister Luzemburg OR Freiszeitkarte_GBR - try to disable the not used maps and i think all will work as meant - it''s enough to untick the not-used-maps...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)