Zumo xt2 screen unresponsive

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
virtualsj
Australia

Re: Zumo xt2 screen unresponsive

Post by virtualsj »

My screen has been unresponsive twice although it's been a month between each time. Today coming back from a trip I tried a range of things without any success. I have just turned it on again after a couple of hours and it has updated to SW Ver 4.30 and it's responsive again. Not sure at this stage if it was the update or something else that fixed it (like a rest).

Tried to find what was in the last SW update but having no luck so far.
Nickel349
Been liked: 1 time
Belgium

Post by Nickel349 »

small update ...
- have a new unit, had the problem already during the first ride
- also updated this new unit to software version 4.3X
- still encountered the problem but discovered some new elements that could be at the base of the problem ...

Here we go:
- unlike earlier Garmin Nav equipment, the XT2 has a touchscreen (auto)calibration function every time it is reset aka after a >20 sec hold of the power button (or even when started up ... I'm not quite sure about the last statement).
- earlier Nav equipment could be calibrated by pushing the top left corner of the touchscreen during a normal power on (after a full shutdown, not just a screen shutdown). This led to a screen with dots that could be pushed with your finger or a stylus to calibrate.
- I discovered that my screen was unresponsive at certain RPMs of my motorcycle (Ninja 1000SX). I started to play with my cruise control to really find the RPM where my touchscreen was not responsive and it happened at just over 120 km/h in sixt gear (legal on German highways btw :)
- when I reduced the speed (and the engine vibration) the screen became responsive again.
- then I started experimenting with resetting the XT2 at the engine speed where the touchscreen was not responding due to the vibrations
- guess what: after a full reset in the "vibration region" the screen was totally non responsive, even when reducing the engine speed.
- when I stopped the bike and shut down the engine end did a new full reset without any vibrations present, the screen was responsive again.

-> I would really suggest Garmin to start looking into the auto-touchscreen calibration logic as it might be responsible for inducing certain thresholds that render the capacitive touchscreen inoperative after multiple resets.
turnandslip
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by turnandslip »

That is really interesting. I have also noticed that at certain vibrations (speed and gear like you stated) my screen makes its own selections of either back to the main screen or menu selection corresponding to the bottom left and bottom right portion of the screen. I noticed that it is as if the screen has been pressed ie the button changes colour to orange as if I pressed it myself. I haven’t nailed down the exact speed/rpm but my next step is to rig up a GoPro to record it happening. I’ll then send it to Garmin to add to their knowledge base to hopefully solve the issue.
Nickel349
Belgium

Post by Nickel349 »

I have the exact same things happening as well. At some speeds/vibrations it looks like the bottom left (back/main menu) or right (context menu) gets pressed without touching it. The button highlights orange and the command is either executed or stays orange resulting often in a stuck screen.
Nickel349
Belgium

Post by Nickel349 »

Traded in the second XT2 for the third one.
Had to cancel a second long motortrip due to non-responsive touchscreen. Did 100 resets, no luck.
I drive to the store to swap and it works again 😅.
As i recorded all my problems they swapped it anyway.
So far so good with the third one - fingers crossed.
Vanni68
Malta

Post by Vanni68 »

Today I finally got to start using my Zumo 2 , unfortunately touch screen stopped working almost immediately a reboot got it working but by the end of nothing could get touchscreen to work !
proofresistant
Germany

Post by proofresistant »

I hope Garmin is aware of the significance for the affected users and works hard to research the cause and fix it. Then I hope that Garmin also informs us with which batch the problem is fixed.
I myself will have to contact Garmin again regarding the unresponsive touch. My 2nd XT2 has not held 500km and the touch no longer responds.
It is just not a total failure, but while driving the touch no longer responds so I have to stop or sometimes it reacts independently and triggers random functions independently.

Provided Garmin offers me mys also again to exchange I will probably refuse. I need something reliable on my tours or even trips. As long as Garmin has not identified the cause and fixed I would not want to risk again on a thoroughly messed up vacation.

I'll keep you posted, but the next few dreary months will probably not get to test either.
Many greetings
exTTler
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

proofresistant wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:19 pm I hope Garmin is aware of the significance for the affected users and works hard to research the cause and fix it. Then I hope that Garmin also informs us with which batch the problem is fixed.
I myself will have to contact Garmin again regarding the unresponsive touch. My 2nd XT2 has not held 500km and the touch no longer responds.
It is just not a total failure, but while driving the touch no longer responds so I have to stop or sometimes it reacts independently and triggers random functions independently.

Provided Garmin offers me mys also again to exchange I will probably refuse. I need something reliable on my tours or even trips. As long as Garmin has not identified the cause and fixed I would not want to risk again on a thoroughly messed up vacation.

I'll keep you posted, but the next few dreary months will probably not get to test either.
Many greetings
exTTler
Maybe you still can return it and buy the XT which will save you $200 to boot.
For an immediate trip, you can get an older nuvi 1490 off ebay for $25 and have no problems whatsoever. It uses the old and proven software (no via points just shaping looking like vias).
turnandslip
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Zumo xt2 screen unresponsive - again

Post by turnandslip »

So, I was hoping that the software update 4.40 would make my XT2 behave but it is still randomly locking up (although I still hear music and directions) but I have to stop and perform a soft reset for it to come back to life and the screen to function as a touch screen. The speed related random button selections at the bottom left and right of the screen were persisting and getting more frequent so I decided that I had to contact Garmin again. To their credit, they were very helpful and initiated a return of this my second XT2. I'm hoping that this unit will be "the charm" third time lucky. My hardware version was V9 Pv3 DT R512D WB so I'll keep an eye out if that number chances with the new replacement.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

My riding buddy, who has a Nav VI, complains a lot about "ghosting" (screen acting as if it is being touched when it isn't). A device restart fixes it, at least for awhile. I haven't heard him complain about an unresponsive screen although I guess that would coincide with ghosting. Has anyone heard of the XT2 issue being the same as the ghosting issue associated with the Nav VI?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.