Zumo xt2 screen unresponsive

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
proofresistant
Has liked: 2 times
Germany

Re: Zumo xt2 screen unresponsive

Post by proofresistant »

Fxwheels wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:07 am On a long trip always have a backup nav with the routes on it.
Can be an older nav or a phone with an app (like Kurviger), or an older but proven nuvi 1450 of ebay for about $25
a backup nav will probably be necessary.
The alternatives have just also so their problems (power supply, mounting bracket, visibility in bright sunlight, support of GPX tracks ... ), extra therefore I have invested so much time and money in my new navi flagshiff
bluewolverine92
United States of America

Post by bluewolverine92 »

Just starting experiencing this problem. Is the only fix to get it replaced by Garmin?
turnandslip
Been liked: 4 times

Post by turnandslip »

I’m afraid I haven’t heard of anything in the reboot, restart, reset realm that has ever fixed this issue so I suspect it’s a return ticket to Garmin I’m afraid. How many miles have you done with it?
bluewolverine92
United States of America

Not very long. Just purchased it in May. For the price of this device, I expected much better quality. Will call them tomorrow to sort it out.
bluewolverine92
United States of America

I already heard back from Garmin and it looks like I will be sending in the XT2 and they will send me a replacement. I was curious about two of the questions they asked me though. I do hope that this device's issues are not related to using it for all day rides when there is sun out. If so, it kind of defeats the purpose of using it as a motorcycle gps. The two questions:

1. What was the outside temperature when the issue started happening?

2. How long had the device been in use for that ride when the issue started happening?
turnandslip

Post by turnandslip »

That’s interesting, I thought it might be a vibration issue. My one failed 2 hours into a ride but it was pretty cool with no real heat.
bluewolverine92
United States of America

turnandslip wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:23 am That’s interesting, I thought it might be a vibration issue. My one failed 2 hours into a ride but it was pretty cool with no real heat.
Did you already get a replacement unit, and if so, has the screen worked ok?
turnandslip

Post by turnandslip »

Yes, I got a replacement and they were really good at turning it round. The new unit seems fine so far although I have only done a few rides thanks to the great British summer 😂. I have noticed that sometimes the screen will switch itself from Nav screen to the main menu screen, hoping that this isn’t a spectre of doom.
axamax
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Post by axamax »

I got my XT2 replaced 3 times and then got a refund.
1) updated the unit using Garmin Express. Downloaded maps to computer as well. Garmin Express says "You're Up to Date". Gave it anotyher few seconds and unplugged it. It would only boot as far as the copyright screens(ie XT2 copyright and maps copyright black screens). It could only be powered off by letting the battery run down.
2) Got as far as adjusting all my settings. Did all the updates with Garmin express. Unplugged it .Yet again black copyright screens. Garmin were getting irritating. Could I take a photo of this and that. Could I take a photo of the unit in the bike mount and the wiring of the bike mount. ( I had already told them neither unit had got near the bike before going wrong.)
3)Videoed the whole process. Did the updates via wifi, did all the settings. Plugged it in to computer so that Garmin Express saw it. Updated the speed cameras. Uplugged it Another Brick.
At this point I gave up and returned the unit to the retailer for refundand bought a second XT instead.
After nearly 20 years of Garmins I have had very little trouble until the XT2. The accusatory attitude at Garmin really stunk. The never bothered to get back to me to let me know what the cause might been.
Nickel349
Been liked: 1 time
Belgium

Post by Nickel349 »

Upgraded from XT1 to XT2.
Besides the things that I found brilliant using the XT2 for a short time ... two major things to take into account before purchase.

1. contrary to what you can find in a lot of reviews, although the XT1 mount is size/hardware compatible with the XT2 it doesn't produce a stable current for the XT2 higher current draw. You're likely to get power cycles if you put an XT2 on an XT1 mount. If you use the cables and connectors that come with the XT2 there are zero issues. Furthermore, the XT2 mount is of a higher quality with better damping an a more reassuring locking mechanism.

2. I have had numerous touchscreen freezes (not more responding on any input) and the last one is non-resettable. Apparently this happens a lot (and it happened to me on a big trip in the Eifel, not very funny to see your motorcycle holiday go haywire.
The unit will be replaced under warranty but I'm not even sure Garmin has a solution ... I do suspect a hit and miss scenario with regards to screen quality. Garmin support were only able to tell me "yeah, you're not the first one" but when I asked what they have done/will do to prevent this with a new Unit there was no answer.