Zumo xt2 screen unresponsive

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Nickel349
Been liked: 1 time
Belgium

Re: Zumo xt2 screen unresponsive

Post by Nickel349 »

3rd zumo xt2 with the same screen unresponsive problem.
I ve had it in both cold and hot weather and never ride in the rain or let the bike and gps outside.

What i know by now for sure…
With my kawa ninja 1000sx around 5800 rpm the device doesn t take touch inputs anymore (with or without gloves).

When i ride at that rpm (where there is the most engine vibration) for a prolonged time (eg highway with cruise control engaged) the touch screen stops working even after reducing engine RPM.

Initially, the unresponsive screen can be fixed with device resets (autocalibration of the touch screen i presume) but after a couple times it d dead for good.

I hope Garmin starts taking this serious. Really dissapointed to see many complaints and not even a reply from Garmin (except replacing the unit or offering a refund).

And yes, I also have the hardware V9 Pv3 DT R512D WB and running latest 4.40 software
Nickel349
Been liked: 1 time
Belgium

Post by Nickel349 »

Software 4.50

Got even worse. Screen unresponsive every ride regardless of rpm’s and vibrations.
I’m fed up with this crap.
Zero engagement from Garmin it seems. Return under warranty, money back and install something more reliable. XT worked perfect but i’m so fed up with Garmin …
turnandslip
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by turnandslip »

I’m really hoping I hit a golden Zumo one of these returns. I now have my 3rd Zumo XT2 and it seems to be OK for the time being. Took it for an hours ride and attempted to recreate my previous symptoms of ghost selections. It is holding up fine. I have pretty low expectations. If this one dies, I think I might push for a refund and lash my iPhone to the bars instead. I was really hopeful that it might be software. Fingers crossed I have the good unit.
Touring_Dave
Has liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Touring_Dave »

Appreciate this is an old thread but I've only joined the forum today.

Having read the whole thread am really dismayed as it describes the type of issues I've been having with my XT2 unit.

Only just got it back from Garmin (via J&S Accessories) with a report that they can't find anything wrong with the unit.

Intend weather permitting to do a 125-150 mile trip tomorrow so fingers crossed that a factory reset and updated firmware have fixed things.

£500+ is a lot of money for unreliable kit 😳

Any updates by the members who posted above would be much appreciated.

TIA, David.
XT2 / Thunderbox / Triumph Tiger 1200 Rally Explorer
turnandslip

Post by turnandslip »

Hi David,

Sorry to hear you are having the same issues as I did. I am now on my 3rd XT2 unit and it appears to be behaving itself and not ghost pressing buttons or locking up. I share your disappointment that such an expensive unit is apparently very fragile and sensitive to vibration - who would expect that on a motorcycle.

Will
Touring_Dave
Great Britain

Post by Touring_Dave »

turnandslip wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:20 pm Hi David,

Sorry to hear you are having the same issues as I did. I am now on my 3rd XT2 unit and it appears to be behaving itself and not ghost pressing buttons or locking up. I share your disappointment that such an expensive unit is apparently very fragile and sensitive to vibration - who would expect that on a motorcycle.

Will
Hi Will,

Thanks for the update, hope your 3rd unit works out for you 🤞

David.
Touring_Dave
Great Britain

Post by Touring_Dave »

Just a quick follow up to my original post the retailer, J&S Accessories at Uckfield, swapped out my faulty unit for a new one they ordered for their stock.

Have done 500-600 miles approx with the new XT2 without any problems whatsoever.

Fingers crossed I've now got a good unit 🤞

A big thank you to Haydon @ J&S Accessories for working with me to reach a satisfactory conclusion 👍
turnandslip

Post by turnandslip »

Well, Well, Well,

I sort of knew it was too good to be true. My 3rd Sumo XT2 unit has started to have the dreaded screen freeze on my first good weather ride of the season. I did about 80 miles without a hitch then the screen froze (the classic symptoms of all the previous units) but continued to give prompts and guidance, just no ability to use the touchscreen. I managed to get it operational again by performing a soft reset (holding the power button for 20s) and have initiated another support case with Garmin. Im beginning to think that my CB500X is giving too much vibration to the unit somehow or I'm exceptionally unlucky.

Surely this had been designed with a harsh vibration environment in mind. Im still well under warranty though.

Will
Touring_Dave
Great Britain

Post by Touring_Dave »

Will,

Sorry to hear your problems have returned, fingers crossed 4th time lucky OR 3rd time refund...

David.
proofresistant
Germany

Post by proofresistant »

I'm getting my third XT2 this week.
Hopefully the touch problems will be fixed on the new one.

I heard that the problem is known at Garmin and has been fixed in newer devices. What I don't know is from which batch or serial number it should be fixed.