Zumo xt2 screen unresponsive

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
turnandslip
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Zumo xt2 screen unresponsive

Post by turnandslip »

Had a Zumo xt2 for a couple of weeks and so far the screen switches randomly from portrait to landscape (solved by locking in one orientation) but 2 days ago during a ride, the touchscreen stopped working. No permutation of reset, power, charge would bring it back from unresponsive. Garmin support talked me through the reset steps and all the blah on the site for frozen screen or no charge - screen just won’t respond. The screen works and turns on and off with the power button but screen is a no-go.

Garmin intimated that they didn’t want to initiate a replacement in case the replacement unit did the same! Little worrying. They said there have been instances of unresponsive screens and asked me to wait for a period of time that was indeterminate while they did testing. Somewhat suggests that bugs are still crawling through the spanky new hardware.

Anyone else with a non touchy touch screen?
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo xt2 screen unresponsive

Post by Stu »

Hi and welcome to the forum

Where about in the world are you?

If you are in the UK then I would take it back to where you bought it from for an exchange unit.

Your contract is with them and they have to exchange or refund if its faulty
turnandslip

Post by turnandslip »

Hi Stu,

Yeah I’m in the UK and got the unit direct from Garmin - have initiated a return for refund. Hopefully Garmin will be working furiously to do a firmware fix for future units. I’ll hang fire for the time being (once I get my cash back).
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Surely it must only be an issue with your unit otherwise there would be uproar in other places about it not working
turnandslip

Post by turnandslip »

I’m hoping that I’m the unlucky early failure on the random bath tub failure curve. Absolutely loved it whilst it was working. Not massively encouraging that Garmin support were reluctant to have me send it for replacement though.
CB650F
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CB650F »

Bought a Zumo XT2 three weeks ago and has the same problem. It turns on but the screen is not responding at all... Will contact Garmin support tomorrow.
turnandslip

Post by turnandslip »

I was hoping that I was an exception. Sorry to hear you have the same issue. I have a replacement now and they were really quick in turning it round. Replacement was a completely new boxed unit with all the bits and seems to be working fine now but only a couple of rides in the bag so far.
proofresistant
Germany

Post by proofresistant »

Hello,

I "was" also affected by the touch problem.

For me it was like this, at first everything was fine, at home on the sofa it worked for several hours and for days.
Then on my first motorcycle tour, the touch did not respond while driving and I had to interrupt my ride at every little thing. Then after some time the touch had no function or did not respond anymore. The display itself was probably ok, because it changes from the boot screen to the security warning and then to the desktop menu when turned on.
Garmin support told me that such a problem is not known :-(
I was allowed to return my device and am waiting for a replacement device.

Now I am afraid that the second device will not work properly in the future.
However, I need for my vacation trips a strong properly working navigation (my last vacation offroad in the Alps without Navi was a huge disaster).

What do you think, could the reason for the touch failure possibly be the vibrations from the bike?
I ride a GasGas 700 cc single cylinder and the handlebars on which the Zumo XT2 is mounted has no damping.
turnandslip

Post by turnandslip »

Hi,

I’m sorry to hear of your screen issue. I have my replacement and it appears to be working OK but only done a couple of short rides with it so far. I was wondering if it was a vibration issue too, I have a CB500X which is quite a “buzzy” twin and the vibration at the handlebar mount. They were very good once the return was initiated and I wa sent a completely new boxes unit with all the cables so pretty good.

I hope it arrives for your trip (which sounds epic) and holds up

👍
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

On a long trip always have a backup nav with the routes on it.
Can be an older nav or a phone with an app (like Kurviger), or an older but proven nuvi 1450 of ebay for about $25