Java program to fix the routing behaviour of the XT.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Java program to fix the routing behaviour of the XT.

Post by jfheath »

I don't think anyone has checked out what happens when this is applies to a track that has been converted to a trip.
That is not what the fix was designed for.

The issue is that a 'tracktrip' SHOULD calculate a way to get back to the closest point on the original track. That is what it does.

The problem is that with a route, as soon as it recalculates, the route then behaves like a tracktrip and calculates the route to the closest point - behind you. Changing the byte seems to change that behaviour to the way that a route should behave - calculate to the next route point.

So although I may be curious about what might happen, if I find out, there is nothing that I would want to do with that information. My best guess is that it would head for the last point, ignoring the rest of the route. But it is only a guess.

TrackTrips behave perfectly well for what they do.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Raf
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Raf »

Thank!
Information : The file is SetTripsToSaved.jar ?
Raf
Italy

Post by Raf »

Resolved:
Now I have some questions for you
1) When importing from basecamp the ABCD.gpx file is located in the Zumo's Internal Storage-GPX folder. I turn on the XT and import the .gpx file. in "saved trips". After that I change 'Imported trip' to a 'Saved trip' ,i have 2 files: ABCD.gpx (in the GPX folder) and 1234.trip in the .system-Trip folder . Should i delete the .ABCD.gpx file from the GPX folder?
In fact in the "saved trips" of the Zumo there are 2 same trips with the same name ABCD
Thank
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Raf wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:49 pm Resolved:
Now I have some questions for you
1) When importing from basecamp the ABCD.gpx file is located in the Zumo's Internal Storage-GPX folder. I turn on the XT and import the .gpx file. in "saved trips". After that I change 'Imported trip' to a 'Saved trip' ,i have 2 files: ABCD.gpx (in the GPX folder) and 1234.trip in the .system-Trip folder . Should i delete the .ABCD.gpx file from the GPX folder?
In fact in the "saved trips" of the Zumo there are 2 same trips with the same name ABCD
Thank
Let me try to rephrase this.

After you have exported a route from Basecamp to internal storage, it is saved as ABCD.gpx in the Internal Storage/GPX folder.
You Import the route using the trip planner App.
This puts a file 1234.Trip in the /System/Trip folder.

Should you then delete the ABCD.gpx file ?

No. The two files work together. The gpx file contains a lot more information to do with the route, than the .trip file.

Importing a route into Trip Planner creates a copy of that route in a single file called Current.gpx. That file contains all fo the routes that are imported. (And tracks and waypoints).

It is possible to import the same route into Trip planner again. And again if you wish. Each import results in a new route with a slightly different name being added to the Current.gpx file. As a result of this, in Trip planner the same name will also appear three times, the later ones will have a 2 and a 3 after name - ABCD 2; ABCD 3.

There will be a seaprate .Trip file for each of those imports in .System/Trips
If you delete (say) ABCD 2 from trip planner, the correspoding vwxyz.Trip will also dispappear from the trip folder.

Deleting ABCD does not delete ABCD.gpx from the Internal Storage/GPX folder though.

I think that is the answer to what you were asking ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Raf wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:49 pm In fact in the "saved trips" of the Zumo there are 2 same trips with the same name ABCD
This shouldn't happen. The way the process 'should' work is that...
1. You transfer the route to the XT is a .gpx file in the GPX folder (ABCD.GPX).
2. When the XT then imports it, it make a .trip file in the .system\Trip folder (1234.trip). It will appear in the XT Trip Planner app as an "Imported Trip".
3. You make a copy of the 1234.trip to your harddrive and then 'fix' it using one of the available methods.
4. You copy or move the fixed version back to the .system\Trip folder on the XT, overwriting the existing one. It will now appear in the XT Trip Planner app as a "Saved Trip".

If you did not replace the original .trip file with the 'fixed' one then seeing a duplicate in Trip Planner would happen but one should be an "Imported Trip" and one should be a "Saved Trip". Regardless, at this point if you tell the XT to do an Import it will see the ABCD.GPX file and offer to import its route. Duplicate routes showing as "Saved Trips" means either a fixed route file is in the Trip folder twice or it was not an Imported route to begin with. AFAIK, the tools indicate whether the files was modified or not. "Not modified" means it was not an imported route or it had already been fixed.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Raf
Italy

Post by Raf »

All clear thanks. jfheath , Peobody.
Raf
Italy

Post by Raf »

Can I make a backup of the .trip files on the sd card?
For safety
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Raf wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:47 pm Can I make a backup of the .trip files on the sd card?
For safety
I don't see any reason why not. I have a space on my laptop hard drive for my originals. Any route that is transferred to the XT as a .gpx file does not need its .trip file saved because it can be re-imported as long as the .gpx file remains in place.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I am going to add a little extra to my comment above.

I said
After you have exported a route from Basecamp to internal storage, it is saved as ABCD.gpx in the Internal Storage/GPX folder.

Normally, when you send a route or collection of routes from Basecamp you can do it in two ways.

1. TRANSFER - Let Basecamp put the routes into internal storage. 'Send to Device'
  • All of the routes, tracks and waypoints that you selected to transfer get placed in a file called temp.gpx. You then Import the routes using trip planner. There is no individual gpx file for each route. Note that temp.gpx is a temporary file. If you reconnect your usb cable and transfer additional routes, temp.gpx gets over-written.
2. EXPORT - You Export the routes to your computer as a single gpx file.
You then use File Explorer to place the file in the GPX folder on the XT

• This single gpx file will contain 1 or more routes that you can then import using trip planner. If your gpx file contains just one route, then the name that you give the file is up to you - but that is not the name of the route that will appear in trip planner.

Although my previous reply mentioned ABCD.gpx - I was following your example. ABCD.gpx will contain a route which may be called "ABCD", but the route may also be called "Route Lmnoopq". It is Route 'Lmnoopq' that appears in trip planner. The name of the route is not the name of the file -although if it is a single route in a file, you may wish to make the file name the same as the route name. That would make sense, but the route name is picked up from within the file.

ABCD.gpx may contain a lot of routes.

In either scenario, there is no .Trip file that relates to a single gpx file. There is one .Trip file that relates to each route AFTER it has been imported using the XT trip planner App.

Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Well today I had my first long ride using the program to fix a route before I set off

200 mile ride from Hull to Wales and despite the torrential rain the zumo behaved exactly as it should if I missed a turn and re routed me back on track with no issues