Java program to fix the routing behaviour of the XT.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Java program to fix the routing behaviour of the XT.

Post by jfheath »

I don't mind hearing that Frank. The use of more shaping points is quite forgiving if you go off route.

Although the Zumos will always try to navigate you to missed shaping points, as soon as you join the magenta line after the missed points, the navigation continues without having to go back.

To silence the nagging, turn of 'off route recalculation'. As soon as you go off route, all navigation aids stop. No caption, no voice, no change of route. The original route stays in place and you are left to find your own way to join up with it again. When you rejoin, the voice and the banner start working again, and providing you join the route heading in the correct direction, it will continue as if you had visited the missed points. But this doesn't work if you have gone past a via point.

I only use Vias to mark places that I will definitely go through.

But I let the XT do its own thing and use the track to mark my original plan. Moreso with the XT as I cannot yet trust it to recalculate a sensible route that doesn't use main roads.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have just confirmed that .trip files of routes that have had their mimport bit fixed can be given long filenames. This may not be news to anyone except me. I was curious because I wanted to clean out my XT before my next trip and wanted to preserve the fixed trip files for future use. i think being able to give them a filename that identifies their route will be helpful. Unfortunately, doing this as an afterthought is a challenge because it is difficult to pull the trip name from the .trip file, at least it is with Notepad. This is what the pertinent information looks like for a trip named "RJB Summer 2023 Day 1".

mParentTripName o lR J B S u m m e r 2 0 2 3 D a y 1
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Peobody wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:26 pm Unfortunately, doing this as an afterthought is a challenge because it is difficult to pull the trip name from the .trip file, at least it is with Notepad.
If you copy the trip files once again from your XT to the Harddrive and run the Java program again, it will print the FileName and the tripname. With a bit of Copying and Pasting from the CMD window you could create a BAT/CMD file that does the rename.
tripname.jpg
tripname.jpg (114.56 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
copy-paste.jpg
copy-paste.jpg (150.67 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Peobody wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:26 pm I was curious because I wanted to clean out my XT before my next trip and wanted to preserve the fixed trip files for future use.
If you want to reuse the trip file, then maybe, just maybe, the GPX file should also be there, for things to work correctly. I think that they should, because there is also a field that points to the GPX file. 'mParentTripName' I believe.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks @FrankB. I never installed Java. I use a portable version of it to run your program using a batch file. The result is that I can't copy from the resulting command window but I was able to direct the results to a text file which is just as good.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Peobody wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:23 pm direct the results to a text file which is just as good.
Sounds even better to me.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

FrankB wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:04 pm If you want to reuse the trip file, then maybe, just maybe, the GPX file should also be there, for things to work correctly. I think that they should, because there is also a field that points to the GPX file. 'mParentTripName' I believe.
I got the technical issue out of the way but the above comment gives me pause. I don't recall seeing a ".gpx" in the mParentTripName but whether a gpx file associated with a trip file must exist is way beyond my pay grade.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

There would be other things to consider - this is a comment, not a solution.

Gpx files can contain many individual routes. Not just one.
The trip fie is managed by some process unknown to me - which occur after the route has been imported.

Imported files do not use the original gpx file - either your own myroutename.gpx or the official temp.gpx - routes that have been imported are all placed in Current.gpx. (And we suspect somewhere else too - because if trying to clear out your XT you do things in a different order, things that you thought you had got rid of, reappear on reboot.)

The trip files seem to appear / disappear when routes are added / removed without me doing anything extra. I suspect after a subsequent reboot.

I use Frank's program if I am at my desk and am connecting / reconnecting anyway, but I am starting to use email transfer to my phone a lot more now. No need to reboot the XT.

For people that do not want to use programs and / or mess around with editors, I have been recommending the 'resave' route method, because you can do it at anytime, anywhere, just using your XT. It saves wear and tear on the USB connector too.

A few variations to the resave method, because your current position is added as an extra route point ahead of the original start

1. Normal method. No adjustment, quick, easy. Load route, Go!, Trip planner, Active Route, Save.

When starting to navigate the route, select the 2nd route point as the next destination, as the resave adds your current location as a ew start point.

2. Enhanced on tour method.. As above but edit route before save to delete the extra point. You cannot delete the new start point, so move the original start above it, then delete the unwanted point. Save.

3. Enhanced at home method.. For routes that start a long way from home, the addition of a current location will involve calculating a route from home to your holiday destination. In this case, the 3 options are leave it until you are on tour; suffer the very long, perhaps abortive, calculation; turn off the gps and set your location nearer to the start. Then use method 2.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

jfheath wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:04 am Imported files do not use the original gpx file - either your own myroutename.gpx or the official temp.gpx - routes that have been imported are all placed in Current.gpx. (And we suspect somewhere else too - because if trying to clear out your XT you do things in a different order, things that you thought you had got rid of, reappear on reboot.)
Had a quick look at a trip that was on my XT. This is how it looks with a program I once wrote. Besides other things it formats the fields readable.
Names.jpg
Names.jpg (65.35 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
I see 3 fields that could be of interest.

mParentTripName: This is the field I suspected to point to the GPX, but looking again I must admit that it doesn't look that way. 1) It lacks the .GPX extension. 2) There is no file on my XT that matches the name.
So sorry, if I 'put someone on the wrong foot'.

mFileName: This is the actual filename of the .trip file. As @Peobody confirmed, if you rename it to a 'long filename' it stll works.

mTripName: This is the trip name, as seen in the 'Trip Planner'. I am sure that this field is used.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Peobody wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:58 pm I don't recall seeing a ".gpx" in the mParentTripName but whether a gpx file associated with a trip file must exist is way beyond my pay grade.
Neglect my warning about the presence/absence of a GPX file, see also my previous post.

There is another consideration. What if you reuse a trip, but meanwhile the map has changed? It could work, but to rule out the possibility that it messes up the route/trip I always recalculate in BC with the current map and send it again to the XT.
Next question: How can you tell with which map the route (GPX/TRIP) was calculated? For me it's not easy to see for a GPX file, and for a trip file impossible. So better safe than sorry and always recalculate in BC and send again to the XT.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

My comment about the gpx file was to do with the fact that the original gpx file name has nothing to do with the route(s) that were transferred and/or imported. The Zumo isn't interested in that. It's confusing because often when exporting a single route as a gpx, the name namegiven.gpx is the same name as the route. But if you changed it to splunge.gpx the Zumo would still pick up the name of the route itself.
FrankB wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:20 am Next question: How can you tell with which map the route (GPX/TRIP) was calculated?
Now - there is a question. I thought that it used to be one of the metatag lines in the gpx file. But It is not there for eithe BAsecamp or Mapsource produced files now - so either I imagined it or both Basecamp and MApsource have changed.

But it has to be in the gpx file somewhere - so perhaps in the subclass field that is declared with each Via Point ?