Java program to fix the routing behaviour of the XT.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Re: Java program to fix the routing behaviour of the XT.

Post by FrankB »

Stu wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:35 pm Well today I had my first long ride using the program to fix a route before I set off

200 mile ride from Hull to Wales and despite the torrential rain the zumo behaved exactly as it should if I missed a turn and re routed me back on track with no issues
Well that's good to hear @Stu. The feedback I got from a Dutch forum was also positive. One person claims he had his files for a 9 day trip including Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Swiss, Italy and Monaco 'fixed' with the online tool, and encountered no problems.

But that only adds more importance to the following questions:
- Is the XT2 also affected, and can the same fix be applied?
- How on earth can we get Garmin to fix this with new firmware? @jfheath Any new on this?
- Is there something we can do as a community? (The Zumo Users)
Raf
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Raf »

I returned from a 6 day tour. With modified .trip files. Almost all worked. Only 2 times have I had the RUT.
I can't explain why this
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Raf wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:13 pm I can't explain why this
Same for me, cant explain. I can only think of a few things.
- Did you check that the trips were really under 'saved'?
- If you still have the tracklogs, are they broken? If yes, then it was a RUT.
- Maybe there was no faster route to the next via point. With the avoidances and maps currently active.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The situation regarding Garmin.

The Tech support that I have been dealing with has been talking all along with her USA counterparts about this issue. The last communication was that she had reported my conclusions and the progress regarding the fix that 'we' had developed, tested and verified as working. She was awaiting them to allocate a time slot.

She said that it may take time, and she would keep me up to date, but it wouldn't be a weekly update.

That was end of May. I wrote again last night asking for an update and whether or not USA had allocated a time slot yet. I said that there were a lot of frustrated members on a few forums who are experiencing odd navigational issues, many of which could be attributed to the RUT behaviour. They know that the issue is being dealt with, but I asked would it now help if we encouraged them all to report problems, so that USA realised it wasn't just one person.

I also asked if it was known whether or not the same Issue affected the XT2.

I'll give it a couple of days - she normally replies pretty quickly - and then get onto the chap that Stu contacted a while ago.

John

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Thanks @jfheath
Fingers crossed!
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Received today.
Dear John,

Thanks for reaching back out to me - hope you've been keeping well!

Rest assured we have not forgotten about this, and US is still working on testing this but it's going to take some time I'm afraid. I will however reach out as and when I get updates of course.

While I (thus far) haven't gotten any reports of this on the XT2 I can't rule it out entirely, but I am hoping that US is going to be able to help me clarify that either way.
It would be really good to know whether the problem still exists on the XT2 - 'cos if they have fixed that, then they can fix the XT - and if they haven't then that might speed up a solution.

Anyone with an XT2 care to carry out an experiment for us please ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I'm on COVID-19 day 7. I'm functioning, but brain fog is a real thing! I say this only because I am convinced that I recently read something in one of the discussions here that I now can not find. What I believe I read is that when a recalc occurs on a "Saved" route it only recalcs to the next route point and not the entire remainder of the route. Is this true or just my wishful thinking?

Prior to this, my understanding of the 'fix' of a .trip file was that it only solved the RUT issue.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

@Peobody thats right it only recalculates that section and the rest is untouched

I have been lucky and mine have got me back on track pretty quickly and we'll before the via/shaping point
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Peobody wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:27 pm Prior to this, my understanding of the 'fix' of a .trip file was that it only solved the RUT issue.
Let me answer the 2nd. I discovered, largely by coincedence, that when the trip file is 'saved' it shows no RUT. I dont know if there are any side-effects, but I haven't seen any.
The short answer is: Yes, only RUT is solved.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:27 pm I'm on COVID-19 day 7. I'm functioning, but brain fog is a real thing! I say this only because I am convinced that I recently read something in one of the discussions here that I now can not find. What I believe I read is that when a recalc occurs on a "Saved" route it only recalcs to the next route point and not the entire remainder of the route. Is this true or just my wishful thinking?

Prior to this, my understanding of the 'fix' of a .trip file was that it only solved the RUT issue.
Sorry to hear about your Covid Brain numbing. Dont expect it to get better instantly when you feel better. I still cant concentrate like I used to be able - except curiously, when riding. I keep a few things on the go these days. I get weary of one very quickly, so I move to the next. Last week I put new brake discs all round. This morning I went into the garage feeling alert and went round everything that I had touched and checking it for the bolt that I had missed. I found it, but it was only one. Silencer clamp bolt.

Re recalculating route - the XT only ever calculates to the next route point when deviating - I think. I know I checked it. I cant remember for certain. A remnant of Brain freeze.

It always recalculates the whole route when you choose closest Entry and Skip.

But I haven't tested any of these behaviours with nobbled mImport bytes. Or recently, so I'm happy to be told that I need to check again.