Auto segment a route

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
Grabcon
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Auto segment a route

Post by Grabcon »

So I have used Basecamp for years and have not found a way to automatically segment a route. Example I have a route that is 900 miles long I want to break it in to three segments other than a manual process? Or how can I limit the length of a route to a defined number of miles?
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Re: Auto segment a route

Post by rbentnail »

I've never been good at joining or splitting routes, IMO just b/c I don't do them enough. In your shoes, I'd right click & duplicate my original route and rename it something like D1 to XXX meaning Day 1 to [destination] and change it to a unique color. Then I'd double click my duplicate route and change all the points in it to via points (alert on arrival). Then I'd go to the bottom of the list of points, highlite the last one and press delete. As you repeat this, move your cursor over the map again and look at the very bottom under the map, it tells you the distance of the remaining route. Delete points until you get about the distance you want. Note- if you delete one you want to put back, press CTRL+z. You now have your day 1. Note which point is the last one.

Repeat- duplicate, dbl click, name D2 to xxx, change all to via points, unique color. Only this time, start at the the top of the list and delete points down to the end point of day 1. Leave it there. Now go to the end and delete backwards until you get the length you want. Day 2 done.

Repeat- duplicate, dbl click, rename, , color, delete from top down to end of D2. Day 3 is done!

You now have 4 routes- the original complete trip and 3 individual day trips. If you convert the original to a track and display it, you'll have the complete trip shown on all 3 days of travel to compare to. Go back to each one and make points non-alerting if you want.

That's how I do it. Always work with a duplicate route. NOT a copy route, it must be duplicate. A quick google of 'Base Camp copy vs duplicate' explains why.

I don't know of any way to automatically limit a route length in Base Camp. I just watch the data below the map as I go.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Grabcon
United States of America

Post by Grabcon »

Thanks. That is the way I too have don it in the past. It would be nice if there was an easy button. But then Google maps doesn't do it either.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I am in the habit of prefixes each of my point name with trip reference, day number, and a sequential number. I am currently on a trip to Pennsylvania so my points are prefixed with content like "PA_D1_01_<name>" or PA_D3_07_<name>. It takes a lot of work to get to the point. The first step, which is the key to your question, is that as I drop points along my intended route I renamed them with the sequential number prefix as I go. Sometimes this includes letters in cased where I have to go back and add points to force the route on the roads I want (eg: 04a_<name>, 15a<name>). With the points numerically numbered, you can select them all and let BaseCamp create a route from the selected points. You can then look at the details of the resulting route and identify which points are closest to where you want your daily limit to be. Say day 1 is at point 12 and day 2 is at point 23, and day 3 is at point 40. You can then tell BaseCamp to create a route from selected points 01-12, and then 13-23, and the 24-40.

Another method is to use Google Maps as a preplanner. I create a rough route in it to get a sense of time and distance. I break that down into approximate daily legs and then start creating daily routes in BaseCamp.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

There's no automatic way if you mean giving BaseCamp a figure and expecting it to do it. The simplest way I've found if I want to split a route at a particular distance is open route properties, find a point in the list at the distance I want and select it. That then puts a circle around that point on the map, and I then use the splitting tool to split the route at that point.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

I can't test this right now as I'm trying to fix an "issue" on my Mac with Avast software, but if I recall correctly you can grab any portion of a route's points, copy them, paste them into a new route, then delete them from the original. Voila, a split route. The Info window's directions can tell you what point represents half of your route in terms of either time or distance. I don't think there's a splitting tool in Mac BC.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Correct, you can certainly highlight a portion of the route in route properties and do it that way too.
Grabcon
United States of America

Post by Grabcon »

Thanks all. I just wanted to confirm I wasn't missing anything. Back to the way I have been doing things and like you have suggested.
Grabcon
United States of America

Post by Grabcon »

Okay so I am kind of answering my own question for route splitting but I thought others may be interested. I forgot about the ability to view the route distance in the directions tab on the route info box. You can't see the distance unless you expand the box. You can scroll down thru each point and see a highlighted circle on screen. once you find the desired stop/break point go to the Via Point tab and right click on the point where you want to break the route and select Split Route Here. This creates a second route with a new name.. See screen shots that I did for a mock up.

Overall Route approximately 865 miles
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 6.47.29 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 6.47.29 AM.png (795.38 KiB) Viewed 6471 times
Info screen showing directions
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 6.47.58 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 6.47.58 AM.png (173.96 KiB) Viewed 6471 times
Info Screen and point location highlighted with circle
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 6.48.38 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 6.48.38 AM.png (324.6 KiB) Viewed 6471 times
Detail of place to split route
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 6.57.50 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 6.57.50 AM.png (304.25 KiB) Viewed 6471 times