Prevent Zumo XT from recording speed

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Lars-Erik
Norway

Prevent Zumo XT from recording speed

Post by Lars-Erik »

Hi all!
I have a Garmin Zumo XT, and I am pretty happy about the functionality on the unit. However, there is something that bothers me, and that is the recording of max speed. Is there any way to shut that off? Haven't found any way yet and I have been trying hard to find a setting that stops the max speed recording/memory.

I am aware that I can reset the value, and I am pretty good at doing it at speed. But, Itwould be easier if theunit left that field blank.

Any ideas?

L-E:-)
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Prevent Zumo XT from recording speed

Post by sussamb »

Why would you want to?
Lars-Erik
Norway

Post by Lars-Erik »

If one were so unlucky to slip over the speedlimit, the recording of the speed would be considered pretty hard evidence of a speed violation if the police should pull you over.
Rofor
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

Don't know the laws in Denmark, but i think that the police didn't have the right to check your belongings for this!? Also 'personal' GPS is not 100% exact - check one track of your tours in Basecamp, you'll see some 'sparks' with really high speed readings.

As the speed is taken and calculated from the gps signal, i think there is (actual) now way to tell the Zumo XT to not record it - it's one of the parameters, for which we use a navigation unit and what the unit needs to operate (to calculate Time to Finish, Arrive at Finish and so on)!

As long as Garmin not decide to make a setting, which disables the recording or the advertisement of the speed, you'll have no luck and have to live whit this situation...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
mad-dawg
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by mad-dawg »

I had no idea this was a "feature", if its possible to switch it off I would like to know as well please
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

I would have thought that as your GPS hasn't been calibrated, then anything it shows, is only an opinion, and not evidence?
Rofor
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@mad-dawg
As i said - there is no switch to turn this off!
Regarding the 'feature': How should the Zumo XT (or any navigation unit, even your smartphone when using, for example, Google Maps) calculate your arriving time, if it don't knows/calculates your actual speed?
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
mad-dawg
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by mad-dawg »

Robert
No problem with the GPS measuring speed to calculate whatever it wants for whatever purpose however, there is no reason to record that information.
If I wanted to log maximum speed/G-force/lean angle/pies eaten etc then I am sure there is a device available, (not sure about pie consumption...)
Its another nail in the XT coffin for me, another "feature" that I will never use and cannot turn off.
I wish someone would make a Nav unit like a 2610 etc, with a big screen and basic robust operating system and none of these "features" that are now included because some marketing clown has polled 200 people and got a list of "must haves" for the next model.

I try not to exceed speed limits and Oop North John makes a valid point about useable evidence which I have no answer for.

For me the XT should be a sat nav first, one that works without requiring me to accommodate very poor software design and quality control, not an entertainment system with the added capability to switch the lights on whilst out for a ride (only found that today!).
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

My Zumo 660, like many (not all) garmin units records highest speed, however it does not record when or where the speeds were achieved, so would be useless for any prosecution.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

@Lars-Erik, my sense is that you are asking us how to help you minimize getting caught speeding. I don't know of a way to disable the XT recording speed but if I did, I wouldn't share it. I have very strong feelings that motorcyclists should be law abiding and, when on the road, be respectful of other vehicles. Here in the U.S., anti-motorcycle sentiment and motorcycle-targeted laws and traffic enforcements are not uncommon. Anything a motorcyclist does that increases that sentiment is detrimental to all who ride.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.