Cardo PackTalk Edge Duo - Setup for use with XT and a phone.

Got any questions about Audio, Headsets and Earplugs then please use this section.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Cardo PackTalk Edge Duo - Setup for use with XT and a phone.

Post by jfheath »

I finally took the plunge.

Cardo Packtalk Edge Duo. Intended in my case for rider pillion communication.
I rarely use the phone facility, but I do want to be able to receive a phone call if I am out on the bike alone.
I am used to having the XT flash up messages, and sometime text and email alerts, and I want to keep that facility.

If this configuration is described in any documentation, then I couldn't find it.

If anyone else is doing the same, then the attached might help.

Very briefly.

Configure Pillion Edge via BT, but set it to use CMD Intercom Mode. Delete BT Connection on phone
Configure Rider Edge Via BT, set it to CMD Intercom Mode. Set the BT on the phone to disallow calls.
Create an Intercom Group - using Rider Edge buttons.
Connect Pillion Edge - done by buttons on the Edge.
Link XT to Ride Edge by BT - set as a second phone, not as a GPS
Link Smartphone to XT

Make sure that the phone has no BT links to the Pillion Edge.

Detailed description and explanations for setting up the Packtalk in this way are attached as a PDF

See the two replies below - to get the phone to have a connection to allow 'Hey, Google' to work.

PDF file updated
Attachments
PackTalk Edge XT Android.pdf
(343.24 KiB) Downloaded 685 times

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Cardo PackTalk Edge Duo - Setup for use with XT and a phone.

Post by Peobody »

This is how my Packtalk Bolds work, that is if your reference to "CMD" is what I consider the Cardo mesh communication. I am anxious to hear whether the voice navigation is as disruptive to your intercom communication as I have found it to be.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

You can keep your cardo connected to the phone through bluetooth and still connected to the zumo

You need to go in to the Bluetooth settings and disable phone calls on the settings for the headset but allow phone calls for the zumo

This way you can still connect to the cardo via the app
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for that @Stu

I had tried that - but it failed to keep the other connections.

However, since you had it working, I tried again. This time I made the connection to the phone before the other connections were set up, and disabled the phone call feature immediately.

Then I made the other connections - and that did the trick - so the connection to the phone can remain in place, and that gives access to ther 'Hey Google' command to the phone and also the Cardo Connect App without having to make a new connection each time. Much better.

I noted that there was an upgrade to the software for the Cardo - to v 3.1 - which claims to have fixed a problem with the Connect App not being able to find a BT connection (I think it said) - so I updated both units. That has been released in the last couple of days.

I may well get the chance to take it out and test it today - solo - get the volume behaviour correct for me, and then apply the same settings to my pillion's unit. Hopefully the roads will be quiet.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:00 am I had tried that - but it failed to keep the other connections.

However, since you had it working, I tried again. This time I made the connection to the phone before the other connections were set up, and disabled the phone call feature immediately.
I am curious about this too. I has never able to get things to work right when my phone was connected to my Packtalk and to the XT. Where did you disable the phone call feature?
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Peobody wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:28 pm
jfheath wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:00 am I had tried that - but it failed to keep the other connections.

I am curious about this too. I has never able to get things to work right when my phone was connected to my Packtalk and to the XT. Where did you disable the phone call feature?
On the Bluetooth settings for the cardo

Get everything connected then go in to bluetooth settings on the phone and click on the settings for the cardo and disable calls. Leave audio connected otherwise the app doesn't connect
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

No joy. The only device specific bluetooth option is to select the type of device but that option is solely for audio level control (car stereo, headphone, speaker, etc,) Perhaps this is an Android vs iPhone thing. I have an iPhone. Do you guys have Androids?
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Yes android here!

Not sure with iPhone

On android you get a gear cog next to each bluetooth device under the connected devices

You click the cog and have options to choose settings and unpair etc
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Android here too.

I don't have an iPhone, but I have an Ipad Air.

Is there nothing in the Setting->Blutooth section under the paired device name.

When I connect the Zumo to my Ipad, it lists a whole load of device types that the Ipad will treat the Zumo as

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:55 am When I connect the Zumo to my Ipad, it lists a whole load of device types that the Ipad will treat the Zumo as
Mine does too but they are all audio devices The informational note associated with that option says that it is to "ensure your Headphone Audio Level measurements are accurate". I can not find anything that would disable phone call function to the Cardo.

I wish I could remember the exact issues encountered when my phone was connected to both the XT and the Cardo.