ZUMO 350lm Bricked after update by garmin express

For everything Garmin Zumo 345/350 related
pissedatgarmin
Great Britain

ZUMO 350lm Bricked after update by garmin express

Post by pissedatgarmin »

Hello all.
It seems that garmin like to kill off older GPS units and flog you another I should not be surprised really it is the way of things.

Essentially garmin express informed me my unit needed an update about a week ago thinking nothing of it let the the program do its thing. This resulted in my gps no longer wanting boot up and not been recognised by my PC. So great another electronic paperweight! My research so far has shown this problem to be quite common with various garmin units across the range. Tried all the usual soft and hard resets, removing the sd card but to no avail. Garmin helpdesk basically tried everything I had already done and said sorry we won't fix it here buy another one for £300! No thanks once bitten twice shy. Not happy as you can imagine.

I can get the pc to recognise the GPS briefly by switching on with the lower right corner of the screen being pressed. It will then cycle every 30 seconds or so while the screen is kept pressed. I think this is preboot mode or similar. I believe the only way forward is with a piece of software called garmincure3 which may allow recovery but can not seem to track it down anywhere on the web. Has anybody had a similar problem and managed to solve it. If not its in the bin or sale for spare parts as well as the mount and wiring and I will buy any other make of GPS other than Garmin. They stink!

Anyhow any pointers would be appreciared to revive it.

Cheers
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Re: ZUMO 350lm Bricked after update by garmin express

Post by lkraus »

There have been a few times that my 590 would not boot up, or boot up and immediately restart over and over. In both cases, it happened after a firmware update, and if a hard reset did not fix the issue, disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting it would correct the problem. The battery on the 350 seems to be harder to access (see battery replacement videos on YouTube), but it might be worth the effort to save the unit.
Great Britain

Re: ZUMO 350lm Bricked after update by garmin express

Post by pissedatgarmin »

Hi thank you for taking the time to reply.

Thanks for the pointer I've got nothing to loose by having a go. I'll break out the small tool kit and have a go.

Cheers