Zumo XT acquiring satellites

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Re: Zumo XT acquiring satellites

Post by danham »

Here are the reasons I can think of for the GPS failing to lock on satellites.

* GPS has moved a considerable distance (and/or it has been a long time) since last satellite lock.
Cure: let it sit for a long time with a clear view of the sky.

* Satellite almanac is corrupted.
Cure: do a master reset and take it outdoors to get lock.

* satellite positions in the sky are temporarily unfavorable.
Cure: this is rare but can happen when too many sats are low on your local horizon. Wait a few hours.

* GPS receiver is faulty.
Cure: repair or replace.

-dan

PS: one more thought. What do you see when you press the satellite signal bars in the upper left corner? Does it appear to be trying to acquire?
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
MichaelT
Been liked: 2 times
Australia

Re: Zumo XT acquiring satellites

Post by MichaelT »

Thank you . As we are touring Europe the day after tomorrow , I went to Garmin HQ in Southampton. After some reluctance to look at the zumo XT they kindly found someone to review the issue. They identified that a problem occurred when loading an update and the new files were incomplete due to the lack of wifi so no maps were reloaded. It was a problem with the Wifi at the Air B&B. I’m sure this is an issue in many country areas. Unfortunately the GPS failed to say that the download was incomplete, I think the GPS should highlight the problem to enable users to restart a new install when there is better internet service. Garmin HQ do not want visitors but i had little option due our travel plans. So I give them a big tick to enable me to use the gps on my KTM 890. Thanks for everyone’s communication. Cheers M