Google Satellite View

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Google Satellite View

Post by Les »

I rarely (if ever) use Basecamp, much preferring Mapsource.. but occasionally I 'play' with Basecamp... how does one get to view satellite imagery in Basecamp?

In Mapsource I just right click anywhere on the map and get a menu with this option.
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Re: Google Satellite View

Post by Iris »

You have to export the file and select a .kml file type.
When google earth is open, you can just drag and drop the .kml file to the earth.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Les wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:50 pm I rarely (if ever) use Basecamp, much preferring Mapsource.. but occasionally I 'play' with Basecamp... how does one get to view satellite imagery in Basecamp?

In Mapsource I just right click anywhere on the map and get a menu with this option.
Does that then take you to satellite view? BaseCamp used to but Google did something that broke that link so I'm surprised to hear it still works from MapSource
Les
Great Britain

Post by Les »

sussamb wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:16 am
I'm surprised to hear it still works from MapSource
The 'View' (in Google Earth) stopped working in Mapsource long ago.. however, just right clicking on the maps (in Mapsource) gives the option to view in Google Satellite Imagery.
satellite.jpg
satellite.jpg (49.32 KiB) Viewed 6076 times
Exrm193
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Exrm193 »

As far as I know, Google withdrew the licence, so not possible. Shame, it was a great feature.
Les
Great Britain

Post by Les »

Exrm193 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:45 am As far as I know, Google withdrew the licence, so not possible. Shame, it was a great feature.
See the post above, it still works with Mapsource.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Early in my Basecamp days I found a value in having Google Maps running as well. I often used Google Maps to determine the roads I wanted to ride and then created the route in Basecamp. An integral part of the process is using the street view feature in Google Maps. It is astounding how much street view footage there is for streets in the U.S. Is it the same for the U.K. and Europe?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Largely yes, except for Germany and Austria.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Peobody wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:32 pm Early in my Basecamp days I found a value in having Google Maps running as well. I often used Google Maps to determine the roads I wanted to ride and then created the route in Basecamp. An integral part of the process is using the street view feature in Google Maps. It is astounding how much street view footage there is for streets in the U.S. Is it the same for the U.K. and Europe?
There is a quite a lot of StreetView coverage all around the globe. I'm a big fan of reading ebooks on my phone. I like being able to tap a city name or an address in a book and then letting Google actually show me what the author is describing. Even a satellite view of an area can make a story more interesting and understandable.

You can get a rough idea of the areas available in Google Maps by zooming way out, so an entire country or even continent is in view, then click on the the yellow man in the bottom corner of the map. All the blue areas will have StreetViews available.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Exrm193 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:45 am As far as I know, Google withdrew the licence, so not possible. Shame, it was a great feature.
Google did not withdraw the license, they just raised the price to an unaffordable level. Google charges software developers a fee, based on usage, for access to the Maps API and data. Initially, this was a very tiny amount, so small that developers could absorb it without noticing. Then, a few years ago, Google upped the fees by several thousand per cent, and access became a substantial expense. This is when Garmin dropped the Google features from Basecamp. Furkot also dropped Google as a map source and switched to OpenStreetMaps at about the same time.

There were some prior issues with Basecamp and Google Earth when various "updates" to both programs caused the interaction to fail, but cost is what killed it for good.