Zumo XT on sale..

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
CollingsBob
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 21 times
Canada

Zumo XT on sale..

Post by CollingsBob »

Garmin has put the Zumo XT on sale - $130.00 off. My trusty 396 is now 4-5 years old but still works perfectly, my only complaint is it’s kinda small - hard for me to read.
Are there any issues or weird behaviour with the Zumo XT that I should be concerned with?
Certified JB Welder
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo XT on sale..

Post by Oop North John »

CollingsBob wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:06 pm Are there any issues or weird behaviour with the Zumo XT that I should be concerned with?
If you use it as an A to B device, or only plan routes on it then the XT then you'll enjoy it. If you plan routes with via / shaping points in Basecamp and then go off route you may well be tempted to throw it as far as you can.

The problematic behaviour has a few threads but basically it wants you to u-turn back to the point where you left the route, repeatedly, until it may decide to use a logical route after dozens of "u-turn when possible"
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

What @Oop North John said. The XT is a great device but is has enough aggravating characteristics associated with following planned routes, or more appropriately, when you wander off of a planned route, that you'll be loving it one minute and then hating it the next. Still, it is a nice size, has a bright screen, and there are plenty of people here willing to help you get the most out of it.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
kernowing
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

Oop North John wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:07 pm
CollingsBob wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:06 pm Are there any issues or weird behaviour with the Zumo XT that I should be concerned with?
If you use it as an A to B device, or only plan routes on it then the XT then you'll enjoy it. If you plan routes with via / shaping points in Basecamp and then go off route you may well be tempted to throw it as far as you can.

The problematic behaviour has a few threads but basically it wants you to u-turn back to the point where you left the route, repeatedly, until it may decide to use a logical route after dozens of "u-turn when possible"
Pretty much why I've resisted the urge to buy an XT @CollingsBob
My major bike tour days are pretty much over now so I'll stick to my old 660. :(
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

I think in the round from what i have tried and seen of TomTom and trying to use maps it is the "one eyed man in the land of the blind"

The errors and problems can be circumvented with some work.
This would be the one I would choose for multipoint fun tours and trips. Point to Point there are better options
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

I don't think I've ever had a problem when I wander off route. I simply zoom out and work out how to rejoin it.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

kernowing wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:48 am Pretty much why I've resisted the urge to buy an XT @CollingsBob
My major bike tour days are pretty much over now so I'll stick to my old 660. :(
The reasons I gave up my 660 and bought an XT are that its contacts wore out after a LOT of miles and I'd get low battery alerts while riding, and the latest map update went so wrong that I couldn't fix it to get a full update. But now that I've gotten used to the XT's "personality" (and let's admit that the 660 has its quirks, too), I find it to be a vastly superior navigator.

The best advice I got is to load tracks and display them "under" any pre-planned route. The track will never be ruined by rogue recalculations or other glitches and allows me to get back on the route without wading into the "skip" function, which should be labeled "abandon hope all ye who enter here." ;-)

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
carolinarider09
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

Since the XT is o sale, I am thinking about a purchase.

My question is simple. If I were to purchase a Garmin XT would I be able to use routes I have planned using another software program that produces "GPX" files on the XT without hassle?

I have several trips planned and I have the routes in the GPX format, ready to ride. I'd not like to have to "redo" them.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

carolinarider09 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:20 am Since the XT is o sale, I am thinking about a purchase.

My question is simple. If I were to purchase a Garmin XT would I be able to use routes I have planned using another software program that produces "GPX" files on the XT without hassle?

I have several trips planned and I have the routes in the GPX format, ready to ride. I'd not like to have to "redo" them.
Simple question; complex answer. ;-) It depends on two things: the program you used and the maps it uses. If I were doing this I'd import the routes one at a time into Basecamp and after making sure the XT and BC are using the exact same map version, recalculate the route on your computer and check it for errors, such as unexpected U-turns, before transferring to the XT. This should be a lot faster than re-doing them.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
carolinarider09
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

I will see it Basecamp will import the files.