Zumo 660 LM won't boot past splashscreen

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
markt74
Austria

Zumo 660 LM won't boot past splashscreen

Post by markt74 »

Hi everyone,

I hope the community here can help with a problem that has appeared on my Zumo 660LM recently. I've had my unit for quite a few years and till recently never had any problems with it. Last week I created a route in the unit (not with Basecamp) by entering the map coordinates of two points into it. The route calculation and preview worked fine.

A few hours later I placed the unit in the car craddle. As normal the power-up routine started, but after the splashscreen appeared, the unit shut off. Several attempts to turn it on resulted in the same behavior; the splashscreen briefly appeared and the then the unit powered down. Since then I've been scouring online forums for advice and suggestions on how to get the unit working again, but to no avail.

Here's what I've tried so far:
- Cleaned all electrical contacts (internal battery and those in the car craddle)
- Ensured that the craddle is getting aux power from the car
- Removed the SD card, which has never caused any problems on its own
- Replaced the internal battery and fully charged the recplacement
- Allowed the unit to sit in the craddle for a few hours while driving
- Removing the battery and connecting the unit to my Windows PC; unit displays the message "insert battery." Inserting the battery results in the same behavior as descibed above. The splashscreen appears and then the unit shuts down. No connection between the PC's operating system and the unit seems to have been established.
- Pressing the lower right corner of the display while powering the unit on

I fear that somehow the unit became bricked. If possible I would like to keep on using it, as I have both a car and motorcycle craddle for it and don't want to have to buy, set up and install everything anew. Is there anything I can do to revive it? I'm willing to give flashing it a try and to reinstall the firmware from scratch, if need be. I've never done it, so any links to a how-to would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
carolinarider09
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
United States of America

Re: Zumo 660 LM won't boot past splashscreen

Post by carolinarider09 »

I have a 660 and a 665 and I have never experienced what you have described. So, I do not have a good answer.

But I have something that might be of help. There is a gentleman in Minnesota that works on these devices. He might be able to "rescue" your device.

I have used him for a memory upgrade to my 665 and a screen replacement on my 550 (yes I still use it as well).

https://www.palmdr.com
rocksroad
United States of America

Post by rocksroad »

I have a Zumo 660 on my 2013 Victory Cross Country. The GPS is just 10 years old. It has worked fine until now. I plugged it in to my computer to check for a map update and then set it on top of the computer. It sat there for 5 or 10 seconds and then slipped onto the floor. When it hit the carpet, the battery popped out (the cover was off because I had the USB cable plugged in). After that when I turn the unit on I get 10 seconds of operation, then the unit turns off. I get the splash screen, loading maps, the acceptance screen, then the screen to choose "where to" or "map." If I'm slow I get less, but at 10 seconds the unit shuts down.

I haven't found a solution. When I contacted Garmin, they were no help and said they no longer worked on this unit so I couldn't ship it to them.

Have you had any luck?
raesewell
Been liked: 12 times
Great Britain

Post by raesewell »

In GPS terms your sat nav is a relic from the past, you might want to think about getting a new one.