Battery failure on newish uno XT

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
kohog
United States of America

Battery failure on newish uno XT

Post by kohog »

Hi, I'm brand new. I'm also frustrated with Garmin. I ride motorcycles and sometimes use a Garmin as a backup in the car. I have the Montana, Zumo 595 and Zumo XT. I bought the XT to use on my bikes to replace the awfully weak screened 595 that is hard to see in any light. Problem is, after using the XT for just about 1 year (during which it worked fine) I now cannot get it to start up. The XT was sitting for about three months without being used so before putting it back on the motorcycle I tried to download any software updates and/or new maps. Problem was the XT wouldn't start up. As soon as the sliding bar reached about 1/3 (upon loadup) the screen would suddenly go black (shut down.) Tried several times, same thing happened every time. Looked for solutions on support.garmin.com and tried their soft reset (hold power button down for 30 secs) - twice - to no avail. Sadly, Garmin is one of those companies who think it's clever to never allow customers to find their 800# (I've looked everywhere I can think of) and have wholly retreated into their insular shell. First, has anyone here had a similar problem - solution pls? Secondly, pls help me get in touch with a person at Garmin as their online help system sucks. I don't mind having to buy a new battery but having this expensive device just lying around doing nothing is more than frustrating.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Re: Battery failure on newish uno XT

Post by Oop North John »

Hi and welcome.

If you're trying to charge your XT then it needs to be a 2amps charger, otherwise you're wasting your time.
kohog
United States of America

Post by kohog »

I use the charger that came with the XT, why would I use anything different?
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

The XT will shut itself off when the battery is low even when plugged into a power source. Leave it charging overnight and see what happens.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Here in Europe the warranty / guarantee period is 2 years, it sounds like it will be worth spending the time on the phone to speak to Garmin & maybe getting the unit replaced.

Interestingly in the UK the unit is not shipped with a charger, just a usb power lead. As others have said an overnight charge with a >2 amp charger may well solve your problems - good luck, let the forum know how you get on.
kohog
United States of America

Post by kohog »

Thanks. Did you notice in my 1st post I stated I could not locate an 800# (contact phone number) for Garmin - or I prob'y would not be posting here. No # in any literature that came with device neither at their web site. Plus the solutions offered at their support site don't solve my issue. I would appreciate it if any one can supply that 800#. I'm located in Florida, USA, so no EU nos. pls.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

There is a "Call" link at the bottom of this page on the Garmin website:
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?conta ... tab=topics
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
kohog
United States of America

Post by kohog »

TY, I've been there. It's a palm-off as far as I can tell. They have a short list of things that could go wrong, you click, it goes to a (video of) a "solution." Tried the suggested "soft reset" - twice, but it doesn't work. Now I'm still stuck and NO 800# that I can find anywhere. Pls read my first post, I explained everything. What I need is an 800# for Garmin in the USA. They always used to have one, thought there must be someone on this forum who could supply it.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

1-800-800-1020
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
kohog
United States of America