Identical Maps?? Garmin Zumo 595LM 95% Full!

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
PaulaRay
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Identical Maps?? Garmin Zumo 595LM 95% Full!

Post by PaulaRay »

Hi, My Garmin Zumo 595LM is showing my device storage as full at 95%. After seeing this, I performed a Garmin Express update to version 4.60. Biggest problem I see is that the same map is downloaded three times under Basecamp Maps (see below). Plus, there is an older version there as well. I'm sure this is why I'm using up all the internal storage. I have never had this problem. Also, I always use a 32gb SD card for all my routing. If you know how I can get rid of these duplicates as well as the older version, I would sincerely appreciate your help? Thank you. Ray
Garmin Basecamp 4.8.12
Garmin Express 4.60
MacBook Pro M1 Max
Duplicate Maps 1.jpg
Duplicate Maps 1.jpg (76.78 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
Attachments
Duplicate Maps 2.jpg
Duplicate Maps 2.jpg (121.93 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Identical Maps?? Garmin Zumo 595LM 95% Full!

Post by jfheath »

If you load Basecamp with your Xt connected and wait for it to finish reading everything then click on internal storeage, it will list all of the maps that it can find.

It will probably duplicate what you already know. However, if you click on each named map it will give you the name of the file for that map. This will be useful if you decide to delete one.

You can delete files using a file explorer reading the Zumo's internal storage folders. However I suggest that you dont delete them but instead, rename them as something else. Add your initials at the end for example so that the can be easily put back to their original names later. After renaming, restart the zumo and see if any damage has been done.

However, note that some maps now come in multiple files - so for example, Europe currently has three sections. Sometimes it shows the 3 references to it, sometimes it gives the single name for the entire region. Dont assume that because it seems to suggest that you have 3 maps with the same name that they are duplicates.

I have also noticed that maps on the Zumo now seem to have folders of lots of smaller files. I am guessing, but do not know, that these may relate to the smaller areas of rectangular 'tiles' or areas of map that you can see being redrawn when you zoom a map out to cover a larger are using the zumo screen.

You probably need more info than that, but hopefully, someone else will fill in my blanks. I have never had an issue with maps, so i have never really had to investigate....

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Thank you for all the great information! I'm on a MacBook Pro M1 Max and never came across File Explorer. Could you point me in the right direction? Also, that's a good idea of renaming in case of any damage. Thanks again, appreciate your help. Ray
Full.jpg
Full.jpg (209.61 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Windows "File Explorer" = MacBook "Finder"

City Navigator North America NT maps is in two files on my XT but installed to my PC as one file. The result is that it gets listed three times in Basecamp when the XT is connected. I keep one old version of the map on my PC so that gets listed as well so mine looks just like yours except that mine shows the device name on the two that are on the XT.

This is what mine looks like.
BaseCamp Maps List.JPG
BaseCamp Maps List.JPG (40.2 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
Edit: I am back because I realized that I failed to finish my thought that It does not appear that you have a duplicate map installed. The map has just gotten so large that it requires two files.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Thank you for the great information. I would agree that there is probably more information therefore, the mapping is broke up into different files. I went into both the Garmin Zumo 595LM internal 8GB folder and my 32GB SD Card Folder (below). As you can see in the Garmin folder, there isn't even a GB of information showing. None of those folders represent all the maps that are installed on the Garmin which is eating up all the space. As for the SD card, there is an older version of City Navigator North America NT 2022.25 at 3.93GB. I now have City Navigator North America NT2024.1 on both the Zumo and in Basecamp that I did through Garmin Express. This could be a hiccup in moving forward without the newer one in place.... I have no idea how download the newer version to my SD card. Obviously, there is a way... If I remember correctly, I did it through Garmin Express back then but, now there isn't an option to send it to an SD card. I've have to reduce the that internal storage somehow??? I can't even open a small route with a few waypoints without it hanging at about 40%. A perfect world would be moving the maps to my SD card and having alias's in the Garmin internal if needed. Thanks again for all your help.... Mr. oblivious here sincerely appreciates it. Ray
Attachments
Garmin Folder Info.jpg
Garmin Folder Info.jpg (143.78 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
Garmin 8GB Internal Storage.jpg
Garmin 8GB Internal Storage.jpg (236.28 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
Routes 32GB SD Folder Info.jpg
Routes 32GB SD Folder Info.jpg (137.18 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
Routes 32GB SD Card.jpg
Routes 32GB SD Card.jpg (187.56 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Difficult to know exactly what has happened but the older map doesn't seem to have been put there by Express as there is no unlock code etc there. You can remove it simply by deleting it.

Maps on the device are in a hidden .system folder, which is why you can't see them. If you want to see it, and it's hidden for a reason in that mistakes there can be fatal, try googling 'show hidden garmin .system folder'.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

It's quite ridiculous, I can't even load a route once it's on my Zumo. It just hangs at around 40% to 70%. Test routes I made were only about fifty miles with three waypoints. Really stupid, you can install a 32GB SD card in but, it's useless when their software is blown up and aim's everything at the internal drive. It's Garmin therefore, I haven't been surprised by anything for a long, long time. Thanks for chiming in.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If your Zumo is that full then consider removing some of the unnecessary vehicle, voice, text, keyboard, help and EULA files
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Thanks for the help. I haven't changed any settings for years. I did however, clear everything in Saved, Trip Planner, Tracks and Recents before I posted this issue. I contacted Garmin as well but, no response. Thanks again, appreciate the help. Ray
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Been conversing with Garmin Support through about 15 emails.... Bottom line, no help at all. They had me empty the Archive folder that holds GPX files which changed the Device Storage from 95% Full to 93% Full. The following is what their final email stated;

Hello Raymond,
Archive are the only thing to recommend deleting but your unit is very full and in the event this does not work, then you won’t be able to add anything else. I apologize.

Response: Apologize?? No sh.. It's very full but, not from anything I uploaded to it. It's Garmin's bloated mapping software.

Now I'm stuck with a bigger piece sh.. than before.