Identical Maps?? Garmin Zumo 595LM 95% Full!

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Identical Maps?? Garmin Zumo 595LM 95% Full!

Post by sussamb »

You can move the map folder to the Garmin folder on the card. Move the JCV folder there too. If you delete it you'll lose junction views. For the SID folder you won't gain much so just leave it, you can clear our the older files if you have a lot there but leave the latest one of each type.
LQQK_OUT
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by LQQK_OUT »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:37 pm I connect to Base Camp to delete routes in both internal memory
That's interesting. I'm not able to delete routes via Basecamp from the internal memory. Basecamp doesn't even give me that option.
Zumo 595LM
2011 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU
1993 Harley-Davidson FLSTF
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:37 pm I connect to Base Camp to delete routes in both internal memory and on the SD card (user memory). I'll make a trash list folder and list, put them there if I want to save them then delete from the device.
Do you mean BaseCamp or Windows Explorer? As far as I'm aware BaseCamp can't delete data on 'on the road' devices.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Ok, clarification:

On the device, I delete all routes and saved points I don't want to keep. Then hook to Base Camp, making sure Garmin Express is shut down completely, i.e., not running in the background. When I do this, by clicking on internal or user memory, I can see all the waypoints saved as favorites and all the routes and points in user memory. I delete or copy-then-delete anything I don't want to keep.

Ease of management is one reason my routes all get put ONLY on the SDcard and never transferred directly to the device.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Post by Iris »

sussamb wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:54 am You can move the map folder to the Garmin folder on the card. Move the JCV folder there too. If you delete it you'll lose junction views. For the SID folder you won't gain much so just leave it, you can clear our the older files if you have a lot there but leave the latest one of each type.
What is a junction view?
Maybe the 590 is different than the 595 in that the Map folder is not in the Garmin folder. I simply moved the Map folder to the sd card and it seems to work fine.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

rbentnail wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:07 am Ok, clarification:

On the device, I delete all routes and saved points I don't want to keep. Then hook to Base Camp, making sure Garmin Express is shut down completely, i.e., not running in the background. When I do this, by clicking on internal or user memory, I can see all the waypoints saved as favorites and all the routes and points in user memory. I delete or copy-then-delete anything I don't want to keep.

Ease of management is one reason my routes all get put ONLY on the SDcard and never transferred directly to the device.
Ah ok so it's only on the card you're deleting data using BaseCamp, that makes more sense.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Iris wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:31 am
sussamb wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:54 am You can move the map folder to the Garmin folder on the card. Move the JCV folder there too. If you delete it you'll lose junction views. For the SID folder you won't gain much so just leave it, you can clear our the older files if you have a lot there but leave the latest one of each type.
What is a junction view?
Maybe the 590 is different than the 595 in that the Map folder is not in the Garmin folder. I simply moved the Map folder to the sd card and it seems to work fine.
Map folder whether in .system or not can be moved to the card. As for junction view:

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=U ... ve%20route.
jmdaniel
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by jmdaniel »

Great info on this thread, I was able to reduce the % full almost exactly to the same values as the OP.

One correction needs to be made, back on Page 2:

"Note that the .System folder does not show up in MTP mode. It only shows in Mass Transfer mode. So if you know that you want access to it, turn on the Zumo, go to the hidden system diagnostic page and set it to be Mass transfer (or Mass Transfer Single Session). Then click 'Save' and plug in the USB cable."

I believe the word "transfer" should actually be "storage", as that is how it is mentioned above this part of the instructions.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

jmdaniel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:56 pm
"Note that the .System folder does not show up in MTP mode. It only shows in Mass Transfer mode. So if you know that you want access to it, turn on the Zumo, go to the hidden system diagnostic page and set it to be Mass transfer (or Mass Transfer Single Session). Then click 'Save' and plug in the USB cable."

I believe the word "transfer" should actually be "storage", as that is how it is mentioned above this part of the instructions.
Yes it should. Thankyou for spotting that. I have corrected the original post. At least I was consistent in that sentence. I made the same error three times - but nowhere else. My brain must have gone walkabout while I was typing.

Mass Storage mode - Acts like a disk drive, has drive letter, must be 'ejected' before disconnecting. .System is visible.
MTP - Media Transfer Protocol. Appears without a drive letter - just a name. No need to eject. .System not visible.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jmdaniel
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by jmdaniel »

jfheath wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:46 pm Yes it should. Thankyou for spotting that. I have corrected the original post. At least I was consistent in that sentence. I made the same error three times - but nowhere else. My brain must have gone walkabout while I was typing.
No worries, I thought I knew what you meant, but with the mysterious nature of all things Garmin, couldn't be sure. Unrelated, but I spent a couple of days last week, trying to figure out why my Sena 50S wouldn't work with either my 595LM or my 550. As it turned out, I needed to remove both the Sena and my phone from both, then re-add them.

Always a mystery...