Identical Maps?? Garmin Zumo 595LM 95% Full!

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Identical Maps?? Garmin Zumo 595LM 95% Full!

Post by sussamb »

Yes
PaulaRay
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Great... Thank you. 👍
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Have some great news.... I tried 2 test routes out of BC aiming them at my 32GB SD card. One approx. 50 miles with 4 waypoints and the other being approx. 1,500 miles with 8 waypoints. Both uploaded fine but, it took about five minutes for the 1,500 mile route. This is definitely a great start compared to what I had. These routes were very simple compared to what I normally do. I'm a cross country motorcyclist therefore, I usually end up using a lot of waypoints taking backroads along with interstates. The Garmin 8GB drive is still showing 7.54GB Full. I would like to get rid of all the unnecessary files and/or mapping to get the internal back to a minimum. I always use my SD Card which has been great until the Garmin internal drive got so bloated.
I'd like to add, I've been backing up everything before making a click of the mouse... Finally, I have a smile back on my face thanks to your help and JFHeath! If there is some other files/folders that I can dump, I'd like your advice on which ones to go after since the drive is so full. Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate all the help I received here from both of you!! 😊👍

Garmin Drive 7.54GB Full.jpg
Garmin Drive 7.54GB Full.jpg (105.03 KiB) Viewed 3216 times
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

If you have your Zumo attached by USB and you open basecamp, when you click on the maps that are listed as being on the Zumo, it will tell you which file that map is using.

This helps a bit, but when I tried it - it didn't account for all of the files. (But BC doesn't show FourSquare or the DEM - digital eleveation map). But it might help to identify unwanted previous versions of maps.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

@PaulaRay

Now it's working we can be confident it was lack of space causing the issue. As for other stuff you can do if you're still concerned, but with the amount of free space you now have it should be fine, you could:

Delete the voice, vehicle etc files I mentioned earlier
Clear out the SID folder, just keep the latest files
Move the Map folder which contains one half of the map, and which is 3Gb, to the Garmin folder on the card. In that folder you can also delete the old .unl and .gma files, you just need the files that match the name of the map, which is the .img file
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Thank you guys for all your help!
I took some current snapshots of installed maps in BC and the 595LM below. BC doesn't show FourSquare or DEM on my MacBook Pro as well. As you can see only one shows in Garmins .System folder in BC. Everything in BC looks to be correct at this point. I don't know what and/or how but, the duplicates are now gone. VVmaping is for snowmobile trails which is not installed on the 595LM.
I'll go back into the .System folder and delete what you mentioned. If I have any concerns and /or unsure of anything, I'll ask you for further instruction. As I mentioned before, I did back up the .System folder at the very beginning. The biggest files I see in the .System folder are shown below as well but, my guess is that those have to remain due to being the installed maps. It would be nice to be able to aim those at my SD card. Thank againg to both of you for all your help!! I couldn't be at the point I'm at without it!
Attachments
BC Maps Installed Info.jpg
BC Maps Installed Info.jpg (106.28 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
Maps Installed on 595LM.jpeg
Maps Installed on 595LM.jpeg (318.03 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
System Large Files.jpg
System Large Files.jpg (158.17 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Gmapprom.img is one half of your map, the other half is in the Map folder, which as already explained you could move to the Garmin folder on your sd card.

Gmapdem.img is the digital elevation model. If you don't want to see anything in 3D you can remove it.

I've already explained that you can delete all the files in the SID folder except the most recent ones. These files store traffic trends and other data
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

sussamb wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:06 pm Gmapprom.img is one half of your map, the other half is in the Map folder, which as already explained you could move to the Garmin folder on your sd card.

Gmapdem.img is the digital elevation model. If you don't want to see anything in 3D you can remove it.

I've already explained that you can delete all the files in the SID folder except the most recent ones. These files store traffic trends and other data
Awesome... I was just getting ready to ask you if it's the Map folder or the Gmapprom.img. that I can move to the SD card. The Map folder is only 86.5MB and the Gmapprom.img is 3.52GB. You mentioned the 3GB was in the Map folder but, it's by itself. I'm unclear of which one to move to the SD card? Thanks.

System Largest File.jpg
System Largest File.jpg (281.37 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Ah apologies, got confused between your screenshots and @jfheath

Yes, you can move the whole of that Map folder although there isn't a lot in it. Note you can delete most of the .gma and .unl in that folder, you just need the ones that have the same name as the .img file in that folder.

Do not move gmapprom.img
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

sussamb wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:35 pm Ah apologies, got confused between your screenshots and @jfheath

Yes, you can move the whole of that Map folder although there isn't a lot in it. Note you can delete most of the .gma and .unl in that folder, you just need the ones that have the same name as the .img file in that folder.

Do not move gmapprom.img
Thanks... Now I'm faced with a problem I've had but, now worse. The 595LM likes to eject itself on it's own once in a while when connected to my MacBook Pro. Now, it ejects itself everytime I plug in after 15 seconds or so. Last thing I did was remove other languages under Voices. It doesn't matter if I'm in Mass Storage or MTP Auto Detect (my normal setting). I don't believe it's been anything I've done in regards to deleting files... I've re-started my MacBook a couple times. Shut the 595LM off / on, removed back battery cover, re-install. Trying to figure this out..... I'll move forward on the Map folder once I do.