Identical Maps?? Garmin Zumo 595LM 95% Full!

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Identical Maps?? Garmin Zumo 595LM 95% Full!

Post by sussamb »

It's unlikely to be something Garmin has done, and if it was all 595 owners would have the issue. Apart from Express adding maps what else has been added? Something is taking up space that shouldn't be.

Have you tried deleting the files I mentioned earlier?

What you haven't shown us is what is in the hidden .system folder, that is where map files are stored and where the issue may be. Can you post a screenshot showing that folder? Also as you're on a mac have you emptied the trash?
PaulaRay
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

sussamb wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:49 am It's unlikely to be something Garmin has done, and if it was all 595 owners would have the issue. Apart from Express adding maps what else has been added? Something is taking up space that shouldn't be.

Have you tried deleting the files I mentioned earlier?

What you haven't shown us is what is in the hidden .system folder, that is where map files are stored and where the issue may be. Can you post a screenshot showing that folder? Also as you're on a mac have you emptied the trash?
Yes it is Garmin, without a doubt. Yes, other 595 owners do have this problem. A great example can be foud here; https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/garm ... s.1461984/
I've been all through the Garmin drive folder, no System/SID folder. I wish there was, I would dive into it and remove their older mapping. It's not only very likely Garmins fault, it is. Why should I have to try to fix their old out dated software that can't even write over older mapping when updating through Garmin Express? Why didn't Garmin Support walk me through removing everthing you mentioned? Mac user's can't even directly connect to their Mac without some type of hub to use BC. I could go on and on but, I just went through a huge waste of time with Garmin Support.
Full Setup.jpg
Full Setup.jpg (515.75 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

On the 595, to get the hidden .system folder, you have to enter the hidden system diagnostic page:

View Map->Speed button->Long press large circular speedo button - 10 secs.

In there you will find Configuration & Settings -> MTP Settings

There are 3 options. MTP Autodetect / Mass Storage / Mass Storage Single Session.

Mass storage makes the device look like a disc drive. It will have a drive letter. In this mode, you MUST remember to formally eject the USB connection before unplugging. Other wise, dtaa that you think has been transferred to the Zumo may not have been.

MTP is Media Transfer Protocol which makes the device look like a smartphone or a camera. It will be named 'Zumo 595' , and it will show subfolder(s) - one of which is 'Internal Storage'. In this mode, you do not have to formally eject it before unplugging the USB cable. This is because you are not allowed to leave files open on the Zumo (so you can't open a file for editing. You have to transfer it to your PC and then open it.)

Mass Storage Single Session will start the XT in Mass Storage mode (drive letters) the next time that it is connected to the USB cable, but after that it reverts to MTP (named device).

So - Select Mass Storage mode (or Mass storage single session).

Reconnect the USB cable to the Zumo and to the computer and let the Zumo start in the mode which shows it connected to a computer.

In your file explorer (I am on a PC - so excuse me for speaking Windows rather than iOS) - you may be able to see a .System folder. If so, the icon may be greyed out - meaning it is hidden. If not, you need to make hidden files visible. Note that your Zumo will now appear with a drive letter.

To make hidden files visible on your PC, type 'File Explorer Options' in the search box. (Its in Control Panel if you want to access it in that way).
Click on the 'View' Tab.

Look down the list and mark the Show Hidden Files, folders and drives.

See below.
Show Hidden.jpg
Show Hidden.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 3543 times

You may also want to untick the option further down to hide the file extensions for known file types. I like to see the MyFileName.gpx rather than just 'MyFileName' - but that isn't essential, and up to you.

Click Apply, and then OK

Go back to your File Explorer, and a number of hidden files (preceeded with a dot) will now be visible. One of them is .System

--------------------

Now at this point a word of caution is necessary. You are now able to view, modify and delete files in the .System folder. Either deliberately, or accidentally. The computer doesn't make any distinction between the two modes of operation.

It is not a bad idea to right click on the .System folder and select Copy. Then create a new folder on your hard drive, right click the new folder and click 'Paste' - and wait for it to complete. That way, if you ever make a mistake, you have the files to put back.

Note that the .System folder does not show up in MTP mode. It only shows in Mass Storage mode. So if you know that you want access to it, turn on the Zumo, go to the hidden system diagnostic page and set it to be Mass Storage (or Mass Storage Single Session). Then click 'Save' and plug in the USB cable.

But remember - you MUST formally eject the drive letter(s) before unplugging the USB cable. Otherwise you will lose data, files will not be properly closed, and you may even corrupt the files that you have been accsessing.

The main map files are in Internal Storage / Map - but there are also some in .System and also in .System/Map. I don't know which maps these are.

-----------------------

Below is a scan of my Internal Storage folder showing sizes of each folder including the contents of subfolders.
I have expanded two main folders (.System and Map) so that you get a bit more information.

This from a Zumo 595, after a recent system reset, current system software and the latest full European maps
CN Europe 2023.20 North, south, Foursquare and DEM. Click on the image to see it full size.

Internal Memory is just 16Gb. 8.93Gb used, 5.35 Gb free.
Zumo 595 Root.jpg
Zumo 595 Root.jpg (183.5 KiB) Viewed 3543 times

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

PaulaRay wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:14 pm Yes it is Garmin, without a doubt. Yes, other 595 owners do have this problem. A great example can be foud here; https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/garm ... s.1461984/
Well let's see what you find in your .system folder. For the most part, and I've used various Garmin devices in a period spanning 15 years or so, things work well. Occasionally, like most electronics, something goes wrong as it seems to have in your case. As you can see in the above post there should be plenty of free space on your device so something has been put there that is taking up space. Once we know what's in the .system folder we can see what that is and I'm sure we can resolve the issue for you.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

THANK YOU JFHeath for all your help and taking the time in explaining all those steps to get me to Garmins System folders and files!!! I'm on a MacBook Pro M1 Max but, with a few other deviations, you got me there! I also created a backup as you suggested. There is a total of 6.58GB within the System folder. Map folder is only 86.5 MB. On the flip side, gmapprom.img is the largest at 3.52GB. This and other larger folders/files are highlighted by red arrows below. I also included folder file sizes that wasn't directly shown. I read elsewhere that SID files can be deleted which shows older maps but, my larger ones in this folder is from the latest update. Now, I need some great advice on what to delete without making my 595LM a total brick... Thank You again for all your time in helping me out, I sincerely appreciate it. Ray

System Folder.jpg
System Folder.jpg (104.31 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
Folder Sizes.jpg
Folder Sizes.jpg (357.4 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
Map Folder.jpg
Map Folder.jpg (186.31 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
SID Folder.jpg
SID Folder.jpg (100.36 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
SID Folder Contents.jpg
SID Folder Contents.jpg (480 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
JCV Folder.jpg
JCV Folder.jpg (50.62 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

sussamb wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:55 pm
PaulaRay wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:14 pm Yes it is Garmin, without a doubt. Yes, other 595 owners do have this problem. A great example can be foud here; https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/garm ... s.1461984/
Well let's see what you find in your .system folder. For the most part, and I've used various Garmin devices in a period spanning 15 years or so, things work well. Occasionally, like most electronics, something goes wrong as it seems to have in your case. As you can see in the above post there should be plenty of free space on your device so something has been put there that is taking up space. Once we know what's in the .system folder we can see what that is and I'm sure we can resolve the issue for you.
Thank you! I totally agree with you. I've been using Garmin GPS's a little over 20 years. My first was the 276c which was flawless in every way but, back then I was on a Windows PC and using MapSource. Moving to BaseCamp was like a giant step backwards..... Thanks again, appreciate all your help. Ray
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Ok, the easy way forward is to move the JCV folder to the Garmin folder on your SD card. See what effect that has.

There is a lot of tidying up that can be done later if you want, but moving the JCV folder should give you a device that works.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

sussamb wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:22 pm Ok, the easy way forward is to move the JCV folder to the Garmin folder on your SD card. See what effect that has.

There is a lot of tidying up that can be done later if you want, but moving the JCV folder should give you a device that works.
I copied it to my Garmin SD card... Should I delete the JCV folder from the Garmin drive or lave it? Also, for me to give this a try I'll have to revert back to Mass Storage on the 595LM. Should i do some more cleaning first? Thanks for the help!
Garmin SD Card.jpg
Garmin SD Card.jpg (203.12 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You need to move the folder, not just the .jcv file, or at least place it in a folder on the card named JCV. Let's get it working first before we start any other tidying up.

Edit: although from your screenshot you've already done that?
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

sussamb wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:33 pm You need to move the folder, not just the .jcv file, or at least place it in a folder on the card named JCV. Let's get it working first before we start any other tidying up.

Edit: although from your screenshot you've already done that?
I moved the whole .JCV folder to the SD card as shown. It's a copy therefore, should I delete the original one that's in the Garmin drive? Thanks.