Routing Thru Alleys?

Got a question that doesn't fit in to any other category? Then please use this section.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Routing Thru Alleys?

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

I just installed the new CNNA 2024.1 maps on my PC and each of my Zump devices. One of the things I noticed on the map displays was that all of the "roads" in the parking lots of shopping centers were now displayed on the maps. It's a little distracting but I can tune it out, or I guess that if I reduce map detail thay will disappear.

Problem - today, running a route that I have used many times before, the Zumo directed me to turn into the shopping center and then out again. The effect was obviously to "shorten" the route by skipping the corner on the street that was coming up. I have NEVER seen the GPS do this previously. I understand that sometimes, a route will want to take a highway exit and then return to the highway to shorten the route.

I don't expect the routes to direct me to take a shortcut through a field. Why are they suddenly using parking lots as routeable paths?

I checked this route on Basecamp and it was doing the same thing. It was easily fixed, by moving the shaping point closer to the street corner which caused the route to skip the alley. Probably would have been avoided if I was using the FASTER option instead of the SHORTER option. But, I can still imagine some crazy shortcuts are going to start appearing.

Using parking lot alleys for routes just doesn't make sense GARMIN!
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (58.18 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Re: Routing Thru Alleys?

Post by Les »

I never.. EVER use shorter option, especially in mainland Europe, some of the 'routes' have been ridiculous, through tiny village roads and as you found through car parks and even forest trails..
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If you ask for shortest don't be surprised if that happens
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Shortest or fastest- both make screwy routes. I've always wanted a choice of NONE.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:24 pm Shortest or fastest- both make screwy routes. I've always wanted a choice of NONE.
I like the Google Maps method of showing multiple route options along with being able to select some other options (avoiding highways being most valuable).
Wouldn't it be nice if Garmin popped up a screen for you to select faster/shorter and avoidances before it calculated a route or before it did an approved recalc.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Peobody wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:52 pm
rbentnail wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:24 pm Shortest or fastest- both make screwy routes. I've always wanted a choice of NONE.
I like the Google Maps method of showing multiple route options along with being able to select some other options (avoiding highways being most valuable).
Wouldn't it be nice if Garmin popped up a screen for you to select faster/shorter and avoidances before it calculated a route or before it did an approved recalc.
He he he... my StreetPilot 2610 had that option. You could set the routing preference to Shorter, Faster, or Ask for Preference. Anytime it recalculated, I had it ask. It was so straightforward.

The routes that I create are just about always back roads, curvy routes. I tried switching to faster today and all of my routes got longer as the routes switched over to straighter (faster) but longer road sections, eliminating the fun roads that made the routes fun. After I saw that, I switched back to shorter and got my routes back to where they should be. Yes, you can get screwy results with either option. But parking lots still don't make sense.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Some Garmins do exactly that, at least when you first ask it to create a route. Check your settings and see if you can switch on Route preview. Once on Garmin will show you up to 3 routes and you can then select one of them. Note sometimes you get offered less if there are no other options.

See https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=r ... 4WoeI6Wme7
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks @sussamb! On the XT, the route preview option is in the driver assistance settings. I had it turned on and was always being presented with a route but have just figured out that the forked arrows button produces numerous route options.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

sussamb wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:30 am
Some Garmins do exactly that, at least when you first ask it to create a route. Check your settings and see if you can switch on Route preview. Once on Garmin will show you up to 3 routes and you can then select one of them. Note sometimes you get offered less if there are no other options.

See https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=r ... 4WoeI6Wme7
Apparently, I've never just entered a destination and let the XT find possible routes. I have the preview option checked, but since the route has always been pre-planned in Basecamp, there are no alternate routes possible. It's good to know that the XT offers options.
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Regarding the odd routing, there is a possibility that this is nothing to do with Garmin, and more to do with how maps are updated.

It is possible to access certain websites in order to see the maps that are being used by Garmin. I've had a look at these and it seems that It is also possible to make changes to the maps. My curiosity was aroused when after a few map updates over the last couple of years, a few odd routing behaviours happened.
  1. The satnav had always been happy to route me down a quiet backstreet to get into the town centre about half a mile away. The back street runs parallel to the main road which is often blocked with traffic at busy times, and it has become a rat run. Not a very effective one because in places it is steep and narrow and for much of its length only just wide enough to drive a van. There have been various attempts to get the council to do something about the numerous stand-offs and collisions that have been reported. So far, nothing official has happened.
    But two map updates ago, this route is now shown as being having a non navigable section. The two ends of the road no longer meet in the middle.
  2. Another local road has suddenly started showing a 20mph speed limit. I didn't see any new speed limit signs. There were no council notices about a change to the speed limit. So I watched the on board video, and also went back to check. No, it is still 30mph.
  3. I've noticed other changes of a similar nature where the road map or the speed limit have changed from previous maps, without any corresponding change on the ground or intended change lodged on official council websites.
The maps seem to be less reliable as changes are being made apparently without being verified. And when 'driverless vehicles' start using mapped data rather than road signs ..... Goodness, that is going to be fun when pranksters discover the 'No Entry' button.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.