Do You HAVE TO Recalculate Routes

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Do You HAVE TO Recalculate Routes

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

I have 3 Zumo devices (590/450/550) and usually wait a year or more before installing a map update, just because it becomes a few hours of labor.

In the past, I have always gone into Basecamp (590) or Mapsource (450, 550) and recalculated all of my saved routes and then imported them back into the GPS. I considered this to be a good practice and vaguely remember that Garmin devices would loudly complain if you tried to use a route that was created with a different map version.

IS THIS STILL TRUE?

Right after I updated the map on my 590 with 2024.10, I went out. So I put it on the bike and just to experiment, pulled up an installed route that was built with 2022.20. No issues, no warning messages. The route worked just as it should.

So I am wondering if the 590, or the 450/550 Zumos still need to have their routes recalc'd on the new map version?

Gonna post this on the 590 and the 450 sub-forums, since I think there's a chance that the answer may be different depending on the device.

Thanks.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Re: Do You HAVE TO Recalculate Routes

Post by jfheath »

If the map on Basecamp matches the map on the Zumo, then the route does will not recalculate. If the maps are different version, then it will recalculate on transfer from Basecamp and there is no way that you can stop it.

If the maps match then the Zumo may indicate that it is calculating - but that doesn't mean it is recalculating the route. It is getting any Waypoints into the Favourites/Saved locations and various other admin tasks. That will take just a few seconds. If it takes longer - like 20-30 seconds, then your route is probably recacalculating. If you are certain that your maps are the same - and the route has been calculated (or recalculated on the Zumo using the current maps), then unwanted recaclaulation on transfer tot he Zumo may be due to the Basecamp settings in Edit / Options / Device transfer. Untick all of the boxes - because a couple of those will force recalcualtion - and apply that set of options to all of your devices - there is a button to ask for those settings to apply to all of your Zumos.

The route transferred by Basecamp contains hundreds of invisible points which make the route stick to the roads that were plotted in Basecamp.
If the route doesn't recalculate, or you turn of automatic recalculation, then the route in your Zumo will remain identical to what you planned. If it does recalculate - becasue you have deviated, or becasue (say) you have TrafficTRends turned on (on the 590), then a section of the route may need to be recalculated - but it will keep the remainer (590 - not sure about the others you mention). The XT recalculates the whole lot. But whichever model, it still produces a route that passes through every route point.

The same cannot be said for the Zumo XT though - mainly because is is difficult to stop that Zumo from recalculating as you progress. Possible, but difficult.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I have too many routes in Base Camp to even consider recalculating them with every map update. I've never had a problem using any if them. Same thing on the devices themselves. AFAIK no routes have ever been affected.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:35 am I have too many routes in Base Camp to even consider recalculating them with every map update. I've never had a problem using any if them. Same thing on the devices themselves. AFAIK no routes have ever been affected.
Hey Russ - how are you?

Thanks. Yes, this is what I experienced with the one route that I tried so far. Even though the route was made using 2022.2, and the map is now 2024.1 it still worked without any issue. BTW - the same is NOT true for the older 450 and 550.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I've never considered recalculating a route because of a map update. Any routes on my Zumo (590/595/XT) are freshly loaded from Basecamp within the past few days, after being checked carefully. I create a matching track every time I create a new route in Basecamp, and later save an "As Ridden" track in Basecamp for future use, often with notes. The Basecamp and Zumo maps always match. If a map update caused a change in the routes, I think I'd see it in Basecamp before the Zumo had a chance to complain.

The only routes on my Zumo at any time are the ones I am likely to use within the next few days. If you are storing all your routes on the GPS, YRMV.
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

If the route was created on a Basecamp map (say) v 2022.1 and you update the maps to (say) 2023.2. then the route will need to be recalculated. If you don't do it in Basecamp first, the the route will be recalculated by the Zumo. On the earlier Zumos this was not much of an issue - if the Zumo has no avoidances set and Basecamp has no avoidances set, then the Zumo will produce a similar route - similar, but not identical.

The XT is a different beast, and uses some routing logic that seems odd to me. Set it to faster time, and it may take a long way round to use faster (major) roads and end up with a route that takes a lot longer. But the question wasn't about the XT.

The 590 and 595 use TrafficTrends data built into the maps - so it has an historic record of when certain roads are busier, and routes to avoid them at certain times on certain days. Both also build up a profile of the roads you like to ride so it routes accordingly.

In Basecamp you can filter the Library tree to show just your routes. These can then be selected together, and all recalculated in one operation.

Basecamp doesn't recalculate the riutes automatically, but Zumos will - they have to - if the map used to create the route is dufferent from the map on the Zumo.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

MSTOCK27370 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:41 am
rbentnail wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:35 am I have too many routes in Base Camp to even consider recalculating them with every map update. I've never had a problem using any if them. Same thing on the devices themselves. AFAIK no routes have ever been affected.
Hey Russ - how are you?

Thanks. Yes, this is what I experienced with the one route that I tried so far. Even though the route was made using 2022.2, and the map is now 2024.1 it still worked without any issue. BTW - the same is NOT true for the older 450 and 550.
Doing good, thinking about riding up to the big city for some sushi lunch. You know, before the big blizzard hits Sunday afternoon :lol: !

One thing I'm trying to figure out with both the XT and the 595 is to insert a point by using just the device and not alter the route in any meaningful way. Like: planning to ride a route. A segment is on an interstate. But there's a parallel road I'd rather be on. Using the device, how do I insert points to make THAT my route without changing the whole route? It's got me quite confused why the entire route has to change to accommodate a 2 mile change I desire.

That and the tracks thing. It seems like it could be useful but I don't understand how people get any use out of this at all. I keep reading over and over and nothing seems to work for me.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A