Why do you use a dedicated sat-nav

Got a question that doesn't fit in to any other category? Then please use this section.
chrismckay
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Why do you use a dedicated sat-nav

Post by chrismckay »

I have just purchased a Zumo XT after having a few issues with a Zumo 390.

My reason for a new sat-nav instead of using my Android smartphone and Google maps is an overseas motorcycle trip that has a fair bit of planning involved and didnt want to be reliant on one system so I have planned out all the necessities on both devices.

Apart from the ability to easily programme and follow an intricate pre planned route, which Garmin offer, I would say Google Maps is a more enjoyable, friendlier system, with more detail and a better interface.

i dont see a reason for a satnav unless you are planning a big trip with intricate routes, or you want a dedicated device aswell as your smart phone.

I am interested to hear the boards thoughts on this

Chris....... :D
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Why do you use a dedicated sat-nav

Post by sussamb »

I use dedicated devices, both on the road and when walking. In conjunction with BaseCamp I can plan routes so I go where I want, I've tried Google maps but it simply isn't as flexible or convenient.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

I don't mind dedicated devices for special functions.
I've never been a fan of having "all my eggs in one basket"......
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I use a dedicated sat nav as my phones camera is now screwed from mounting it on the bike
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I purchased an XT as a result of attempting a trip using Google Maps on my phone and finding it useless whenever I lost cell coverage. I tour long distance and prefer roads less travelled so riding in cell coverage holes is common. My phone is a backup when there is coverage but I always have paper maps along. I believe there are ways to download a map to the device but a dedicated GPS just seemed to be the better option. The combination of Basecamp and the XT has proved to be exactly what I needed.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
chrismckay
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by chrismckay »

Peobody wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:33 pm I purchased an XT as a result of attempting a trip using Google Maps on my phone and finding it useless whenever I lost cell coverage. I tour long distance and prefer roads less travelled so riding in cell coverage holes is common. My phone is a backup when there is coverage but I always have paper maps along. I believe there are ways to download a map to the device but a dedicated GPS just seemed to be the better option. The combination of Basecamp and the XT has proved to be exactly what I needed.
You can download sections of google maps for offline use. It really is easy, 2 second job.The smartphone doesnt need a wi-fi signal to vavigate via GPS, and with a downloaded map you have all the zoomable Google map details.
Zumo XT and basecamp are excellent, and like you that is is what I have.I just think that regular Joe would be perfectly served by free Google maps on their smartphone.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Not if @Stu experience is anything to go by :D
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

sussamb wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:57 pm Not if @Stu experience is anything to go by :D
To be honest its only a recent thing with the phone!

I have tried using a mobile before for navigation many years ago but it was just awful which is why I got a sat nav and a tomtom rider at the time

At the time of getting a bike sat nav they was so much better than using a phone I am also a believer in keeping things separate

The experience with google maps I have had isn't that great! fine for A to B but not for my needs of planning and storing multiple routes on the sat nav
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I don't know who the "average Joe" is but sat-nav versus phone boils down to device capability and personal preference. Things like phone size, phone brightness, available phone memory, phone/headset capability are some factors that come to mind. So if "average Joe" has a large, bright phone with lots of memory and no headset compatibility issue then yup, Google Maps should work fine, as long as he doesn't "@Stu " his phone.

@Stu, you are now a verb! :D
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Examples:

I live where it rains often, sometimes every afternoon in the summer. Using one device, I can't "see" 2 apps at the same time. I can use the gps to reroute around a storm cell and the phone to see the real-time radar and movement. Seeing both at the same time is a big plus. Even with the XT and its weather app, I still can't do both at the same time. And now that weather animation on the XT doesn't work (at least mine doesn't) it doesn't help to not know which way a cell is moving.

Weather resistance- phones aren't good at this. Both my 595 and my XT have been mounted in the open during hurricanes and tropical storms with no adverse effects.

I also live where it's very hot. Having open phones in bright sunshine is ok while moving for the most part. But for weather protection, phones are stored in boxes or tank bags. This causes them to overheat and shut down. Nothing like routing along and your device shuts off.

I've found that the more things a device can do, the less it does well.

Google maps allows for 10 route points. Some of my day's rides on an extended trip can have upwards of 30. I prefer using one route per day, not several routes per day.

There are places here in the southeast of the USA where there is no service for thousands of square miles in prime riding country. Like West Virginia, it's a giant dead zone. No point trying to update anything on a phone, there's no contact with the outside world. Seems old-timey in this day and age but there are still functioning pay phones outside many convenience stores there.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A