Can't find a British female voice file for my Garmin Zumo XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
slhanks004
United States of America

Can't find a British female voice file for my Garmin Zumo XT

Post by slhanks004 »

I'm trying this UK forum to see if anyone knows where I might find a British female language voice file for my Zumo XT? I'm the USA.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Can't find a British female voice file for my Garmin Zumo XT

Post by sussamb »

I haven't checked for a while but you used to be able to add additional voices using Express
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

My XT contains two female British voices, British English-Kate and British English-Serena. I believe they came on the device because I don't recall adding them and because there is a total of 17 voice language options in a variety of languages. BTW, Serena has a lovely voice.

I don't have any advice for how you would go about adding them if they don't already exist.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Peobody wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:22 pm My XT contains two female British voices, British English-Kate and British English-Serena. I believe they came on the device because I don't recall adding them and because there is a total of 17 voice language options in a variety of languages. BTW, Serena has a lovely voice.

I don't have any advice for how you would go about adding them if they don't already exist.
My XT came with them I'm sure.

I think that you can get extra voices etc with the Garmin Updater. https://www8.garmin.com/support/collect ... 9-99999-27
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Here you go, seems I was right and you can do it via Express

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=Z ... qDAdyggnJ8
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Cool! I wonder if optional language files are offered at some point during initial setup which is why those of us who have them don't recall intentionally going out and finding them. Too bad Garmin Express doesn't also provide a way to delete installed language files that will never be needed (I counted 13 of them on my XT).
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You can delete them by connecting your device to your computer, they are in a folder named Voices
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Serena 'Speaks Real Directions'. According to the XT screen.

This means that you get a bit more useful information - Like turn left at the traffic lights; Get into the right hand lane and then turn right at the hot dog salesman; Be careful of the cyclist coming past on your right, and then turn right after the pedestrian crossing.

Maybe not quite, but its that sort of thing - much better than having to look for street signs that are not usually visible.

Kate doesn't speak real directions. I don't know if that means that she speaks fake ones. That could explain all the problems I have been having.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

The voices installed by default are country specific. Here in Australia we have "Australian English" and "British English" male and female voice options. I assume it would be possible to install new voice files from Garmin files or third party sources.
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

jfheath wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:02 pm Serena 'Speaks Real Directions'. According to the XT screen.

This means that you get a bit more useful information - Like turn left at the traffic lights; Get into the right hand lane and then turn right at the hot do salesman; Be careful of the cyclist coming past on your right, and then turn right after the pedestrian crossing.

Maybe not quite, but its that sort of thing - much better than having to look for street signs that are not usually visible.

Kate doesn't speak real directions. I don't know if that means that she speaks fake one. That could explain all the problesm I have been having.
Interesting.
I have Kate or her Aussie equivalent but I have also been beta testing the MRA phone nav app and running both systems simultaneously with both on Bluetooth.
Kate simply says in 200 metres turn left on C326
Siri who I presume uses "real directions" says Turn left in 200 metres onto Jones Road and head towards Smithtown

Kate suits me just fine to be honest.