Tilecache has not been updated since April???

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 286 times
United States of America

Tilecache has not been updated since April???

Post by Peobody »

My tilecache does not have any files in it that are newer than April (8 mos. ago) even though I have used Basecamp numerous times and there has been a map update since April. My web research found one forum post on gpspower.net from 2010 and on paragraph on javawa.nl stating that it is safe, and sometimes necessary to delete everything in the tilecache directory. Is this what you would do if you were me?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Re: Tilecache has not been updated since April???

Post by rbentnail »

Me? If Base Camp is working fine then why mess with it? A solution looking for a problem?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Basecamp seems to be working fine but I still don't understand why it displays the map on the XT very differently from the installed map considering they are both the same. The file dates in the tilecache make me wonder if the tilecache is not functioning properly. If it isn't, it seems like its content would be from the previous map. I don't know how the tilecache works but I know that it is a map cache so I think there should be some files date/time stamped when a new map is first used.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

My understanding of the tile cache is that it is there to speed up displaying the map. If the map area (tile) is in the cache it doesn't have to be retrieved from the map set. There is no problem if you delete all of the files in the tile cache. The program has a limit to how large the cache will grow. Once there, it just writes over the oldest files.

Do you also have Mapsource on the computer? Mapsource has its own cache and it is kept in a different directory.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I figured it out! There are two tilecache subdirectories in \AppData\Local\Garmin. One is in \AppData\Local\Garmin\MapInstall and the other is in \AppData\Local\Garmin\BaseCamp. The files in \BaseCamp\TileCache are current, it is the files in \MapInstall\TileCache that are not any newer than April with most going back as far as Sept, 2020. This remains odd considering the current map was installed on 13 July, 2022 but is also another location where it appears that Garmin software is not cleaning up after itself. At least I am reassured that there does not appear to be any problem with the BaseCamp tilecache.