Wasted space on the PC

Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Wasted space on the PC

Post by Oop North John »

On another forum, someone posted about how the Program Data on their PC was using over 100 GB of data. I had a look at mine, and while not quite as bad, it does have map sets that don't show in BaseCamp or in the Apps and Features of Settings.

The place to look is: ProgramData - Garmin - CoreService - Downloads - Maps
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Wasted space on the PC

Post by sussamb »

That's where Express stores the files that it uses to compile the map and other data it sends to your device. You can safely delete all of it.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

And another 20 GB here: C:users - AppData - Local - Garmin -express - maps and this is the biggest one:

9f05ab61613d7246ce2f7037d301b929 with over 3 MB of data.
Last edited by Oop North John on Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Wow! It isn't just maps though. Look at C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Application. The installation file for every Express update is stored here. Eleven of them in my case (1.36 GB) and I've only had a Garmin device for 18 months.
sussamb wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:40 pm That's where Express stores the files that it uses to compile the map and other data it sends to your device. You can safely delete all of it.
Just to be clear, everything in \CoreService\Downloads is safe to delete?
Oop North John wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:48 pm And another 20 GB here: C:users - AppData - Local - Garmin -express - maps and this is the biggets one:
12.7 GB of space taken up there for me. Some filed date back to when I first bought my XT.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

seems to me like its not cleaning up after itself!
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Stu wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:50 pm seems to me like its not cleaning up after itself!
Express unfortunately doesn't
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Peobody wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:57 pm Wow! It isn't just maps though. Look at C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Application. The installation file for every Express update is stored here. Eleven of them in my case (1.36 GB) and I've only had a Garmin device for 18 months.
sussamb wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:40 pm That's where Express stores the files that it uses to compile the map and other data it sends to your device. You can safely delete all of it.
Just to be clear, everything in \CoreService\Downloads is safe to delete?
Yes. Express puts the files there so updating subsequent devices, if you have more than one, is quicker, but after you've updated your devices you can delete them. Note that if you choose the Express option to install maps to PC for BaseCamp to use they are stored elsewhere.
kernowing
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

Oop North John wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:20 pm

The place to look is: ProgramData - Garmin - CoreService - Downloads - Maps
I put a search in Local Disk "C" for "ProgramData Garmin"
The search found nothing :( Am I looking in the correct place?
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes @kernowing You are looking in the right place, but using the wrong search term.

ProgramData is a folder in drive c:
Garmin is a folder inside ProramData

Navigate directly by scanning sown the list of folder in drive C, or search for just ProgramData - then locate Garmin in there.
---
I've never bothered looking in here.

Note that Core services contains an entry representing the UnitID of every Garmin Device that you have owned (reported on the About screen)
The downloads contain a copy of every bit of software - (they call it firmware on here) for the Zumo, for Express and for maps.
I never knew that - easy to get the installer for an older version of express, or revert to older software if an upgrade doesn't work as it should.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:42 am Note that Core services contains an entry representing the UnitID of every Garmin Device that you have owned (reported on the About screen)
The downloads contain a copy of every bit of software - (they call it firmware on here) for the Zumo, for Express and for maps.
I never knew that - easy to get the installer for an older version of express, or revert to older software if an upgrade doesn't work as it should.
Yes, it was cool to see old versions of Express and maps there although I would prefer that Garmin keep my PC tidy and make older version readily available for download.

The content of the C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Firmware\ directory is pretty strange. In some cases there are multiple files with the same modified date and I don't see any firmware version identification that is meaningful to me. I wonder whether anything here could be used to install a firmware.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.