zumo 550 traffic reciever

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
JulianDz
United States of America

zumo 550 traffic reciever

Post by JulianDz »

I recently acquired a 550 with the waterproof motorcycle mount. I have been trying to locate a traffic receiver to install in it. I have the GTM-20 which plugs into the automotive mount and works great. My problem is with the motorcycle mount. the manual shows the optional antenna mounting in the cradle between the cradle and the gps unit when its installed. But the usb connector is too tall to allow the gps to be remounted.Hours searching for a flatter usb cable have been fruitless. So which receiver/cable is required? even Garmin said to use the GTM-20 but it cant possibly fit (way too tall). does the GTM-30 xm antenna usb plug differ? I would like to use the bike mount on my motorcycle since its water resistant as opposed to the automotive mount that is not.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: zumo 550 traffic reciever

Post by jfheath »

I bought an external Antenna for one of my earlier Zumos and never actually used it. I thought it was a necessary addition because the satnav could not pick up a signal for the first week that I tried it on the dash in my new car. I put it down to it being a ford, and it had the heated front windscreen fitted. A very fine wire see-through Faraday's Cage.

After buying the lead, the satnav worked fine. Odd thing is, I didn't actually fit it. It just sat there in its envelope on my desk.

But I cannot remember which device it was for. My 660 or my 550.

It was a GA25 MCX. It didn't have a USB cable - just a small right angled gold coloured coaxial cable.

Probably useless information, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
JulianDz
United States of America

Post by JulianDz »

Not useless at all! Thanks. The photo in the manual shows the cable clearly mark. It plugs into the mount right beside the plug for the hardwire harness . single mico Phillips head screw holding a rubber plug . Remove that and below it is a type B USB socket to install either a fm traffic receiver or XM radio antenna . trouble is it almost has to be a ribbon cable as the GPS sits flush in the mount, mount has a notch in the side for the cable to exit.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ah - I think that mine plugged into a place on the actual Zumo. I'm going to have to look in the manuals - its bugging me.

Found it. Its an MCX connection which is identified in the 550 manual - but looking at it more closely it isn't anything to do with what you need.
Z550 MCX.jpg
Z550 MCX.jpg (12.74 KiB) Viewed 7641 times
Z550 MCX text.jpg
Z550 MCX text.jpg (26.54 KiB) Viewed 7641 times

Sorry about that. This is what you need. There are pics available on t'internet for GXM30 antenna. They might give a clue.
Attachments
Z550 GXM connect.jpg
Z550 GXM connect.jpg (40.89 KiB) Viewed 7641 times

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
JulianDz
United States of America

Post by JulianDz »

That's what I found also, but that's for a XM subscription. I'll go that way if need be, but it also states A GTM-20, I have two, one with the mini USB that is used with older nuvi's and the same unit that plugs into the automotive mount, which works as it should. I can't find any pictures of the cable that's mounts to the base. Unless I'm wrong in reading the manual, and maybe the GXM 30 also works with the standard FM traffic broadcast?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Sorry - I haven't got a clue about that. We dont have XM in the UK so I never got to investigate that aspect of it.
I just bought the external antenna that I've never needed to use !