Delete a trip log

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Delete a trip log

Post by Fxwheels »

Is it is possible to delete a track log on 396 without deleting the entire travel history (ie myTrends, Where I've been etc.)?
I don't see this option.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Delete a trip log

Post by sussamb »

Don't believe so but someone may know.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

I know that it's possible on some others Garmin navs. And logically I don't see why they have to be tight together.
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I don't know.

If you do not record track logs, then mYTrends cannot be built up.
History / Where I have been access the track logs directly. I don't know if it restricts this to CurrentTrackLog.gpx or it looks inthe archive as well. If you subsequently delete the track logs, I don't know if the myTrends data gets deleted.

The trip logs get deleted from the Archive folder (in GPX) on rotation. On the 590/595 and earlier models this used to ensure that no more than 20 files were in the archive - so when 21.gpx was created, 1.gpx got deleted. The XT says that it keeps the logs for 6 months. I don't know if that is an estimate or whether it builds up as many logs as it needs to keep 6 months worth of data and just deletes the ones that are older than 6 months. I've not yet reached the limit on either of my XTs to find out.
The log files vary in size - typically between 1 and 4 Mb. I used to think that they created a new one when CurrentTrackLog was just over 1Mb - as I have a lot of these, but I have a few that are 4.5Mb. (SInce I've had the 590/595).

In the hidden system menu (long press the circular speed button after tapping the maps rectangular speedo), there is a place where you can view the myTrends data. It records which roads you have ridden and things like that. Sorry, I can't tell you where it is. MY 2nd XT is on its way back to Garmin and my 3rd XT is (hopefully) on its way to me and my 595 is still waiting for glue to set, so I have no way of checking at the moment.

Looking at that data, it is in a completely different form from the trip log. It seems to name the roads (and indicate a frequency ??) Adding an entry to that from your position would be relatively easy when youa re ont he move - it has already looked up the road name and displays it at the top of the nav screen. Removing it after a trip log I would imagine would be impossible. I'm trying to think how a programmer would achieve this. The data isn't there in the trip log if you have deleted it, so it would have to rebuild it from all of the other trip logs.

So I suspect that the answer to your question is No. But I refer you to my original answer: I don't know.

I hope that helps ! :lol:

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

I know that in Garmin Montana it is possible to delete the ride log but to leave all the rest
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yep, on the trail devices work completely differently to on the road ones. You can directly edit data using BaseCamp with an on the trail device.
lather
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by lather »

What you can do on the 396 is got to apps > Tracks > Active > click a track > then the wrench and save the track. Save all the tracks you want to keep before you clear the track log
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

lather wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:33 pm What you can do on the 396 is got to apps > Tracks > Active > click a track > then the wrench and save the track. Save all the tracks you want to keep before you clear the track log
That's right. At the same screen where's the option for "save" it would be nice to add another one for "delete" so you'd be able to delete a track you don't need. But, hey... it is what it is.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

jfheath wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:00 pm In the hidden system menu (long press the circular speed button after tapping the maps rectangular speedo), there is a place where you can view the myTrends data. It records which roads you have ridden and things like that.
Yeah, there are tons of info in there. I guess that only small percentage of people know about it and even smaller are looking there.