transfering files from internal storage to SD card

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: transfering files from internal storage to SD card

Post by sussamb »

JulianDz wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:17 pm ok i misspoke , my zumo has 26.3 meg of space left not 300 meg ( was loking at my sd card available memory , i switched from the 32 gig card to a 4 gig card as others have stated thats the max the 550 can use
That is a bit tight. You can free up space by deleting unwanted voice, text, keyboard, help, EULA and vehicle files
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

electro_handyman wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:58 pm I use a 32Gb SD card in my 550, and have loaded the maps to the SD card, not the internal memory.
The new maps available are too large for the internal memory for a complete install.
I've got 2023.1 installed on my SD card and it's 3.3Gb in size.
It is my understanding that SD cards are seen like disk drives to the controlling device (ie the Zumo).

eg I bought a 3TB disk drive for my computer. It can only see 2TB because that is the maximum that can be accessed by the software, firmware and hardware inside the computer. But I can partition it to make it look like two disk drives to gain the other 1Tb. But then the software needs to be able to recognise the two partitions. In the case of a computer, it can.

I don't have a 550 anymore so I can't verify anything, but 4Gb is the stated maximum for SD cards for the Z550. You can put a 32Gb card in there, but I doubt that it will be able to use any of the space beyond 4Gb. You have used just 3.3Gb so far - from what you have told us - so there is no problem.

But I am curious if you ever reach the situation where you have placed more than 4Gb onto the card and everything still works ....
Garmin may have changed their spec without telling anyone. It would be useful to know if that is the case.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
JulianDz
United States of America

Post by JulianDz »

I am still in the initial set up process right now so I'll stick with the 4 gig card till everything is stable. Now my issue is that Garmin states for the 550, a traffic receiver part number GMT-60 cable is required. yet when I connect the cable the Zumo gives me the error message "the device is not recognized" anyone else? software? I have a different cable coming in case the one i have is defective. The connection point is on the side of the mount opposite the power cable. (small usb port) since it cant be in the bottom cover port. been to the web site but no love there.
JulianDz
United States of America

Post by JulianDz »

Like I stated, I'm a total lost to all this and need a hand holder. So to delete the excess files, where do I begin? I can open up the Zumo on my PC, and see tons of file but how do I determine what's priority for the system to work and what can be taken out to the trash? I'm grateful for your patience
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

JulianDz wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:44 pm I am still in the initial set up process right now so I'll stick with the 4 gig card till everything is stable. ........ The connection point is on the side of the mount opposite the power cable. (small usb port) since it cant be in the bottom cover port. been to the web site but no love there.
I'm puzzled by your comment here. File transfers and any other file maintenance via a connected computer are done through the mini USB port on the bottom of the 550, under the cover.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.01 KiB) Viewed 5406 times
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
JulianDz
United States of America

Post by JulianDz »

I was talking about the GTM-60 traffic receiver used to get traffic updated. It also has the same usb plug, but it cant be connected via the data transfer port under the bottom cover. There is a second input port on the side of the cradle mount when the Zumo is installed.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

jfheath wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:01 pm
electro_handyman wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:58 pm I use a 32Gb SD card in my 550, and have loaded the maps to the SD card, not the internal memory.
The new maps available are too large for the internal memory for a complete install.
I've got 2023.1 installed on my SD card and it's 3.3Gb in size.
It is my understanding that SD cards are seen like disk drives to the controlling device (ie the Zumo).

eg I bought a 3TB disk drive for my computer. It can only see 2TB because that is the maximum that can be accessed by the software, firmware and hardware inside the computer. But I can partition it to make it look like two disk drives to gain the other 1Tb. But then the software needs to be able to recognise the two partitions. In the case of a computer, it can.

I don't have a 550 anymore so I can't verify anything, but 4Gb is the stated maximum for SD cards for the Z550. You can put a 32Gb card in there, but I doubt that it will be able to use any of the space beyond 4Gb. You have used just 3.3Gb so far - from what you have told us - so there is no problem.

But I am curious if you ever reach the situation where you have placed more than 4Gb onto the card and everything still works ....
Garmin may have changed their spec without telling anyone. It would be useful to know if that is the case.
Ok, let me see if I can explain a bit more. Total space used so far is 8.92Gb.
I have installed 5.7+ Gb of mp3 files on the card and have full access to all.
I'm at 673 single mp3 files, so I can't say what will happen if/when I get to 1000 files.

Hope this helps.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thank you. That will be useful confirmation for 550 users.

Maybe a later hardware change, or a software update

Edit:

Found it. 14 Feb 2007. Update to version 3.00
Added support for SDHC cards and increased MP3 playlist limit to 1000 songs.

No size limit specified. I'll go back and edit my earlier post to include this info for anyone coming across it from search engines.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.