transfering files from internal storage to SD card

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
JulianDz
United States of America

Re: transfering files from internal storage to SD card

Post by JulianDz »

I used the software and I have the new maps on the sd card. will the zumo now just automatically access the sd card for the maps? can I now dump the internal drive to free up space like you can on a computer?
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You just need to ensure it's selected in the settings on your 550. Personally I'd leave the old map on your Zumo, just ensure it's deselected in Settings. The advantage of that is that should you lose the sd card or it goes faulty you have the old map as a back up.
JulianDz
United States of America

Post by JulianDz »

Thanks everyone for the info! I did as suggested and deselected all but the 2023 NA maps, internal memory is about 300meg now. So when I store favorites or routes, will that be stored on the SD card or internal memory? When it's connected to Garmin express the message that the maps need updating still appears.( Like it's See's the SD card, but doesn't look at it)
JulianDz
United States of America

Post by JulianDz »

Or should I be using something other than Garmin express, like BaseCamp?
carolinarider09
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

Maybe I am just daft but here is what it says in the link above

Garmin Express provides the ability to install a map update directly to an SD card. This process may be needed for discontinued devices.

The SD card installation option will only appear when updating a compatible device that does not have sufficient internal memory for the largest allowable map region. When using the SD card installation option, critical files are loaded to the SD card so it must remain in the device after the update to ensure full functionality. For the largest size SD card a device can use, see the FAQ SD Card Sizes for Automotive Devices.

The SD card support during the map update will only function with up-to-date software. It may be necessary to update the device's software with Garmin Express prior to updating the maps.

These Devices do not Support the SD Card Option:

Nissan 700
nuvi 295
nuvi 300 series
nuvi 500 series
nuvi 600 series
nuvi 800 series
nuvi 805 series
nuvi 5000
StreetPilot series
zumo 450
zumo 550
zumo 665
For these devices that do not support an installation to the SD card using Garmin Express, additional regions can be manually added using MapInstall. See Garmin Express Prompts me to Select a Region I don't want During a Map Update

If I am not mistaken it specially says that you cannot use the SD card for maps. But there is a way. Just requires work.

Oh, and if you do (newer maps), some street names that have upper and lower case will not be fully visible.

I cannot find the description of how to clone the maps. What it is you basically copy the files of your Zumo's main memory to an SD card and then remove the 550 from your computer and reattach the SD Card. In theory Gamrin Express will then think the card is your device and allow the maps to be uploaded. Then you have to modify the file names to make it all work.

Wish I could find the link for how...
carolinarider09
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

Ok here it is. Like I said, I used it this year but the road names were not all there. Thought it was lower case vs upper case thing but.

Post 13 here.

https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/zumo-550.424977/
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

JulianDz wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:23 pm Thanks everyone for the info! I did as suggested and deselected all but the 2023 NA maps, internal memory is about 300meg now. So when I store favorites or routes, will that be stored on the SD card or internal memory? When it's connected to Garmin express the message that the maps need updating still appears.( Like it's See's the SD card, but doesn't look at it)
Favourites and routes etc will be stored on the device, but they take very little room and 300mb is ample. Express I'm afraid will continue to report map updates because as explained you have a device, a 550, where Express doesn't work with a sd card.
JulianDz
United States of America

Post by JulianDz »

this group is great! thanks for everyone's help! just a bit of info that might be useful to others, I am a hearing aid user (Phonak P90) with blue tooth. I was able to pair my hearing aids to the 550 and can hear turn by turn directions thru my hearing aids while my helmet is on!
JulianDz
United States of America

Post by JulianDz »

ok i misspoke , my zumo has 26.3 meg of space left not 300 meg ( was loking at my sd card available memory , i switched from the 32 gig card to a 4 gig card as others have stated thats the max the 550 can use
wks
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by wks »

Hi all, I have a 8gig card and have uk on the device and everything else on the card had no probs so far. I use mapsouce to transfer to card.