New user from NJ, USA

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
LQQK_OUT
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

New user from NJ, USA

Post by LQQK_OUT »

I've been using Garmin GPS products for years. Zumo products for at least 11 years. First the 660 and currently the 595. I've also been actively using Basecamp for a number of years. Zumo 595 is mounted to my 2011 HD FLHTCU via a Tour-a-tech mount. Would upgrade to an XT, but I'd like my next GPS I purchase to have a wired audio out like the 595 has, and the XT does not.
Zumo 595LM
2011 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU
1993 Harley-Davidson FLSTF
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: New user from NJ, USA

Post by Peobody »

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

Good luck finding a GPS with wired audio. I couldn't find one new. Forced me to stop using the built-in comm system on my 2008 Goldwing. I now have Cardo headsets along with an XT.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
LQQK_OUT
United States of America

Post by LQQK_OUT »

I guess one could go with one of the Bluetooth to wired audio out type devices, but I was hoping Garmin would add back this feature on their next device.
Zumo 595LM
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

What kind of wired setup are you looking to use? Earbuds? Speakers? There are solutions.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
LQQK_OUT
United States of America

Post by LQQK_OUT »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:34 pm What kind of wired setup are you looking to use? Earbuds? Speakers? There are solutions.
I have music (mp3) audio files loaded on the external microSD card, that's installed in my Garmin 595. 3.5mm line-out audio from the motorcycle mount wiring harness is connected to the AUX input of my Rockford-Fosgate PMX-HD9813 digital media receiver on my motorcycle. Would have been nice if the Garmin XT worked the same way.

Other minor issues/differences compared to the 660
1. Why did they remove the calculator? I actually found that convenient. Yes, I guess I could whip out my phone if needed and I have my phone with me at the time.
2. Picture viewer also is missing. Again, I guess I could also use the phone. Screen on GPS is larger though.
Zumo 595LM
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The 660 and 595 both have wired output as the OP said. So does the 590, which shares the same body shell as the 595, and in my opinion is the better of the two models in that its routing behaviour is more predictable. Fortunately it is possible to change the software of these devices between the 590 and 595. Mine tends to remain in the 590 configuration.

The XT will communicate with a BT module which provides wired connections. The Autocom BTM03 provides me with stereo sound from the Mp3 player and phone connectivity and works well if you don't put it next to the bikes engine management computer. It tends to drop the connection if you turn on the ignition, let BT connect and then start the engine. But if you start up the engine as soon as turning on the ignition, it connects and stays connected. I use it with rider to pillion Autocom. The unit is powered by the bike and has a 4 pole 3.5mm jack to provide the earth, left speaker, right speaker and mic connections to the autocom. Mine is mounted under the nose fairing out of reach and out of sight. Ive not seen its since it was installed.

Nb - I got your PM. I'll get on with that when I can. Lots of traveling at present. But there is an online version of what you asked for here until I get round to preparing your own copy.

Admin Edit.
https://issuu.com/jfheath/docs/zumo_590_595_basecamp_v4 No Longer Available at this link

Use this instead viewtopic.php?t=521&hilit=basecamp
Last edited by jfheath on Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correcting out of date line.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
LQQK_OUT
United States of America

Post by LQQK_OUT »

jfheath wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:12 am
The XT will communicate with a BT module which provides wired connections. The Autocom BTM03 provides me with stereo sound from the Mp3 player and phone connectivity and works well if you don't put it next to the bikes engine management computer.
I like to keep things simple. Adding another device that needs to be powered, has potential connection issues and lower sound quality doesn't make sense over the choice of a simple wired connection. Garmin should bring back the audio line out connection.
Zumo 595LM
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Stick with the 595 then. It's an excellent bit of kit. Nearly as good as the 590 - if you're not bothered about the little extra apps on the 595.
But the screen on the Xt is so good.

I had about 6 months of headache working out why the 590 didn't behave like the 660. The XT has been giving me headaches since April. 2020. I still use it rather than the 590 though.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
LQQK_OUT
United States of America

Post by LQQK_OUT »

I agree the XT screen is nice. I ride with a few people that have that model.
I'm curious why you like the 590 over the 595. I'm not familiar with the 590, but I don't believe it has the adventure routing, which the 595 does and I do use. When I'm out on a weekend ride and I'm not using a route I plotted via Basecamp, I'll make use of the sliders in the adventurous routing settings.
The major problem I had with the 660 is that the 660 isn't supported in Basecamp anymore. Routes downloaded from Basecamp may not work on that particular GPS, and I've run into those routing issues. Besides the 660 was just too slow in recalculating or even displaying screen updates/repaints for me.

On another note, I'm guessing that the data/maps that's installed on the GPS unit is different from the maps that get loaded on your PC. I have the latest maps installed on my PC and GPS unit and a few times I've come across situations where the map in the GPS unit seems more up to date than the map on the PC. For instance, the map on the PC shows a road and the GPS map does not.
Zumo 595LM
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

LQQK_OUT wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:08 pm
I'm curious why you like the 590 over the 595. I'm not familiar with the 590, but I don't believe it has the adventure routing, which the 595 does and I do use. When I'm out on a weekend ride and I'm not using a route I plotted via Basecamp, I'll make use of the sliders in the adventurous routing settings.
The 595 introduced some errors which managed to find their way into the XT. One is that when changing Via Points to Shaping points, the point is relocated and given a different name - which may affect the behaviour of the route. It seems to want to put them on the road that it thinks is faster.

I think it is also affected by the transfer of routes issue - when the route names that you have given in Basecamp are not always copied across to the 595. I'd need to check that out again.

I thought the 590 had a form of adventurous routing - but mine is curently in 595 mode, so I'd need to reset it. It doesn't take long, but I don't want to do it tonight.

LQQK_OUT wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:08 pm The major problem I had with the 660 is that the 660 isn't supported in Basecamp anymore. Routes downloaded from Basecamp may not work on that particular GPS, and I've run into those routing issues. Besides the 660 was just too slow in recalculating or even displaying screen updates/repaints for me.
Mapsource will still work with it. But I agree that it was slow.
LQQK_OUT wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:08 pm On another note, I'm guessing that the data/maps that's installed on the GPS unit is different from the maps that get loaded on your PC. I have the latest maps installed on my PC and GPS unit and a few times I've come across situations where the map in the GPS unit seems more up to date than the map on the PC. For instance, the map on the PC shows a road and the GPS map does not.
I've not heard of that before, but that doesn't mean that its wrong. I thought that they were the same data, just organised as files slightly differently. You can alter the amount of detail that is shown on the Zumo screen - More, Normal, Less - and of course the detail changes as you szoom in and out. Settings->Map & vehicle ->Map detail - and in MAp Layers in the same place, you can turn other features on and off

A common mistake that I have seen (ie I have made myself) is to install the new maps but forget to select the new one in the drop down menu in Basecamp.

In Basecamp you can display the maps that are on the XT if it is connected to the computer by a USB cable. ie you can show the XT maps on the Basecamp screen. A bit slow, but it can be done. You can then get a screen shot of the map on the XT, and then display the same area of the map that is on the computer and compare the two. If you find an area that you think is different, that might be one way of comparing the two maps for certain.