Map display different between installed and device versions?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Map display different between installed and device versions?

Post by Peobody »

I have CN NA NT 2023.20 installed on my XT and PC. When I look at each one in Basecamp, fully zoomed out, the map display is very different (see below). Should I be concerned? Route creations functions seem ok.

This is a screen snip of the map on the XT when open on Basecamp, fully zoomed out:
BC CNNANT Zumo.JPG
BC CNNANT Zumo.JPG (177.69 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
This is a screen snip of the installed map when open on Basecamp, fully zoomed out:
BC CNNANT installed.JPG
BC CNNANT installed.JPG (136.3 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
JD Hog
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: Map display different between installed and device versions?

Post by JD Hog »

Click on "View" and select Align North Up. Your compas just got turned and caused that.
Jim Diebolt
Zumo XT
2015 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Northern California, USA
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

JD Hog wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:51 pm Click on "View" and select Align North Up. Your compas just got turned and caused that.
I should have done that before I took the screenshots. My concern is that the installed map is a narrow horizontal strip instead of filling the entire map panel like the one on the XT does.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I can't duplicate your results, but that might be because I once told BC to "prefer" the installed version of CNNA NT over the "same" map on the XT. I see the narrow display regardless of which of the three CNNA NT 2023.2 options I select. I suspect BC is ignoring my request to change the map source because there is no visible change or delay when I change the map.

If I select any other map from the XT that is not installed on the PC, like Foursquare or National Parks, I get the "wide" maps which include all of South America, Africa, etc. I think that any areas not covered by the device map are being filled in by Basecamp or the XT.* I'm pretty sure our National Parks map does not contain the names of New Zealand cities.

I'm not too concerned about the wide vs narrow map displays as I really doubt I will ever approach the limits of CNNT NA and I've never seen a routing error caused by a mismatch between PC vs XT map versions.

* I originally thought the areas outside the map were being filled by the Global Map. I deleted it, restarted the PC and the map was gone from my map list, but the wide view and areas outside the selected map are still shown. Either there is another location with cached data or the extra info is coming from the XT.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

lkraus wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:27 pm I'm not too concerned about the wide vs narrow map displays as I really doubt I will ever approach the limits of CNNT NA and I've never seen a routing error caused by a mismatch between PC vs XT map versions.
The narrow display made me wonder if the map installation to the PC faulted resulting in only part of it being installed. Creating routes seems to be working fine and I'll never use the missing areas so I'm not overly concerned, I just thought it was curious that the same map would appear different depending on whether it was on the PC or on the XT.

I just opened CN NA NT 2023.1 which I still have installed on the PC and it also displays as the narrow band when fully zoomed out. The displayed area of the world is the same but the country and city names that are in a large font are very different. This is just an observation. I'm not looking for an explanation.
LQQK_OUT
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by LQQK_OUT »

Here is another data point.
When I look at my CNNA NT 2023.2 fully zoomed out, I also see the same narrow band you refer to.
If I change my Basecamp map to "Global Map", and fully zoom out, I do not see the narrow band map. The map fills the display area.
Not really sure what that means, but I don't think it's indicative of a map installation error.
Zumo 595LM
2011 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU
1993 Harley-Davidson FLSTF