How can I delete all route information?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
willimike43
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

How can I delete all route information?

Post by willimike43 »

I want to rid my zumo xt of all routing data. When I go to apps, trip planner, saved...I can import trips from somewhere on the xt. I want to get rid of all those trips, but do not know how to do so. I have done a reset, but even though it tells me it will remove all my data, when I restart it I can still import those trips. Help!!!
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: How can I delete all route information?

Post by sussamb »

Delete all .gpx files in your GPX folder, including any on a SD card. Now do the reset.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

There are two sources of trips pending import.
1. The last trip(s) that were transferred from a mapping app like Basecamp will sit in a file named temp.gpx, even after being imported. This means they are available for import again. You can safely delete this file by connecting the XT to a PC and using a file explorer to delete it from Internal Storage\GPX
2. A reset does not touch any files on an SD card so gpx files there will remain available to import. They are stored on the card in Garmin\GPX.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
willimike43
United States of America

Post by willimike43 »

I did both of these suggestions, and they did not work. There was no temp.gpx file when hooked to the pc. I deleted all gpx files and did the reset and still have the ability to import those files. I will attempt to find that temp file, but am not sure where to look. Thanks for the suggestions.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

willimike43 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:01 pm I did both of these suggestions, and they did not work. There was no temp.gpx file when hooked to the pc. I deleted all gpx files and did the reset and still have the ability to import those files. I will attempt to find that temp file, but am not sure where to look. Thanks for the suggestions.
If there is an SD card installed, shut down the XT, remove it, then start the XT and see if those routes are still available for import. If they are, then you know that the files are on internal storage. AFAIK, the only place the XT looks for them is in the Internal Storage\GPX directory.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

willimike43 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:01 pm I did both of these suggestions, and they did not work. There was no temp.gpx file when hooked to the pc. I deleted all gpx files and did the reset and still have the ability to import those files. I will attempt to find that temp file, but am not sure where to look. Thanks for the suggestions.
Do a search then for .gpx files on your device and on your card, delete all you find.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

In Trip planner delete All of the routes.
You may also want to clear history, favourites and tracks

Then connect your XT to a PC

The files that need to be deleted are in Internal Storage in the GPX. folder.

These are

Current.gpx. - this contains the routes, tracks and favourites that have been imported and are currently available to the XT
temp.gpx. - this contains the routes that were last transferred from Basecamp to the XT, ready for import.

Delete all other gpx files in the GPX folder with the possible exception of:

CurrentTrackLog.gpx
Position.gpx

These store a record of your recent rides and your position when you last turned off the XT.
The archive folder will contain up to 20 gpx files which are a track record of your recent rides Eg the lat 3-6 months.
You may want to keep these.

Then on the sd card, delete every gpx file in the GPX. folder.

Then unplug the USB cable. Let the XT start up.
Then hold in the power button until the screen asks you to confirm you want to turn it off. Yes you do.
Then turn on the XT again.

Everything should have gone.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
willimike43
United States of America

Post by willimike43 »

Got it! I found the files and was able to delete them...thanks to all who helped.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Great. Out of interest where and what were they?
willimike43
United States of America

Post by willimike43 »

For some reason 'Tyre' kept some gpx files in the zumo. Why or how I don't understand although I had transferred some through garmin explore. I had to delete the 'Tyre' app from my computer, then delete the tyre gpx files from the zumo (which I had done before deleting the app from the computer and they showed up again), then do a reset and everything was gone. I have no idea why it worked like that...that's just what happened.