Switching between 2 bikes /fuel settings

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Bikerrrrr
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Switching between 2 bikes /fuel settings

Post by Bikerrrrr »

Just got a zumo XT. One of my bikes has a stuck fuel gauge and I was planning to use the zumo to track miles between fill ups and give me a low fuel warning on that bike until I fix the gauge.

Just one problem: if I switch the zumo to my second bike, I can’t find a way to tell the zumo to switch fuel tracking to a different bike with a different rate of fuel consumption etc. For a gps that is designed to be easily removed and switched between bikes, this seems like a software setting Garmin should design for. Is there something I’m missing? Can the XT do this and I just can’t find the setting?

Thanks in advance!
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Switching between 2 bikes /fuel settings

Post by jfheath »

I don't think so.

One remote possibility - I haven't looked and I haven't tried...
It it possible to turn fuel tracking off when it is on your bike with a fuel gauge, and turn it on again when mounted on your bike without ?

You'd have to experment and then find out if it keeps the settings if and when it is turned off and on again.

My fuel gauge works but I tend to use the trip meter on my bike and reset it to zero at each fuel stop.
If its getting to be around 240 then I know Im pushing my luck. If it ever starts spluttering, I will know precisely what the fuel range is !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Bikerrrrr
United States of America

Post by Bikerrrrr »

Thank you jfheath, yes looks like it just takes pushing a few buttons to turn off fuel tracking when I put the zumo on the second bike. I can do that. Hopefully Garmin will push a software upgrade allowing for fuel tracking on multiple bikes!
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It remains to be seen whether it recovers its mileage so far when you turn it back on again.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Bikerrrrr
United States of America

Post by Bikerrrrr »

Ohhhh. That’s important. I’ll check it out after installation.
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

I have the same issue, I move the GPS between 3 different motorcycles and would like to have it warn me when the fuel level gets low, but the tank range is very different for each bike, and it’s very inconvenient to have to reprogram the GPS every time I move it to a different motorcycle. As you state, Garmin did a great job creating the XT, but dropped the ball on this feature! I often forget what the tank range is for each bike so very inconvenient having to find the range and reprogram it in the GPS each time I change motorcycles.

Gary
Bikerrrrr
United States of America

Post by Bikerrrrr »

Thanks Thrasherg