Zumo XT - Software Update ??

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Zumo XT - Software Update ??

Post by jfheath »

Sorry for the heading. Designed to catch your attention.

But two days ago Express indicated that it had new software to install. So I did that.
It then announced that it had 7 other items to install to the XT. I don't remember what they were, but cyclops was one (isn't it always). I think the keyboard was another. I installed all of them.

I noted that one of the entries indicated new software - which seemed odd. I decided it wasn't to do with the main XT software v 6.50, so I didn't keep the screen shot.

But today, I notice very different routing behaviour on my XT.

If anyone spots this when using express to update the sundry files, can you take a screen shot please. I have a case open with Garmin, and it was during testing of the routing that I have noted a distinct difference in behaviour.

Thanks

John

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Zumo XT - Software Update

Post by Peobody »

I have updated Express. The new version does not report any updates for my XT.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Just updated Windows Express 7.14.0.0 to 7.15.1.0, no new software offered for the XT using either version.
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Just updated Express for a PC, and the only update I saw was for Cyclops.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Hi John,

I can confirm that there was an update to Garmin Express (7.15.1.0) that I installed a few minutes ago. After connecting the XT it ONLY reports the Cyclops update, nothing else. And my unit was, and still is, on 6.50

Now a daunting assumption: You have been reporting strange routing behaviour viewtopic.php?t=2011 After the update it seems better. Could it be that your unit had one or more bits flipped, by some unknown cause, but that it has been corrected by the update? Seems strange to me that the update has only been offered to you, when yours was already on 6.50.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I had 7 updates. None were reported as software - just things like keyboard, Cyclops, I think there was a manual update, and a couple of tweaks to language files. But one of these had a line under the brief description which said software update.

I was on 6.50, I still am.

However about 2 years ago I was testing how Closest Entry Point worked and it went through a rapid series of software updates. Each time the CEP function changed behaviour. Then on one occasion the same software update was repeated. And its behaviour changed. On another occasion there was no software update but it seemed that downloading other updates from Express resulted in a change in behaviour.
Ive never set up wifi updates. It raised my suspicions in the same way that you describe.

But regardless of that, something has definitely changed. It could be corrupted memory as Frank suggested.

One symptom of this is that the XT now connecting to the PC very much faster than it was before - taking a minute or two to establish a connection. My 590 is almost instant. The other issue that tech support spotted on the active logs is that they contained spurious spikes of excessive speed. I thought that had always been there, but when I checked back, it hadn't.

Another thing I checked was my historic track logs since April 2020 when I received the XT. Things that I thought had been happening forever - it turns out they didn't happen before I had the XT swapped under guarantee. Maybe I got a duff refurbished one. I think some of these faults I reported before the guarantee ran out. I hope so. Or Maybe Express can do some self correcting parity checks on the stored program bytes. I don't know.

I shall do my definitive test on Friday. Ive got to do it on the same road so that changes in behaviour can be put down to changes in the XT. Not to the route, the routing or the map. I can then compare track logs and other things.

I'll keep updating.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

jfheath wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:15 pm The other issue that tech support spotted on the active logs is that they contained spurious spikes of excessive speed. I thought that had always been there, but when I checked back, it hadn't.
I've always had spikes in the XT's active logs, typically at least 3 or 4 in a four hour ride. When I look at the logs in Basecamp I see some truly improbable speeds. Granted some brisk passes are to be expected, but when the logs report a max speed of 138 mph, I'd expect to remember that happening.

The spikes I've seen are always next to a point with missing data. Here's a typical one at more reasonable speed:

I'm pretty sure I did not accelerate from 31 to 56mph and then come to a complete stop to spin 76º degrees and back before accelerating to 30 mph in one second and a foot of distance. My memory is slipping, but it is not that bad (yet).
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thats what I thought they were. Tech support says that something else is going on. I've not checked the spikes since I did the recent tests. I must do that.

An observation in my early Zumos was going through the tunnels. Enter at a slower speed and speed up to legal speed once in the tunnel, the 660 or 590 assumed that it was continuing at the same speed. So when it got the signal at the other end, it thought you were a good distance further back. According to the satnav you exit the tunnel like a bullet, as it shifts you from 4000 yards back to your actual position in less than a second.

The points that are recorded within a second of each other are much more likely to be wrong than the ones with a 5 second gap. Signals are affected by tall buildings and large vehicles.

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:02 pm But two days ago Express indicated that it had new software to install. So I did that.
It then announced that it had 7 other items to install to the XT. I don't remember what they were, but cyclops was one (isn't it always). I think the keyboard was another. I installed all of them.
John, you reset your XT around this same time. Was it before this?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:57 pm John, you reset your XT around this same time. Was it before this?
Looking at time stamps and this thread:

Express and 7 items updated 29 October - this done first.
The complete system reset would have been 29th October - I would have done this just after the update - habitual.
Tests were done 2-4th November.