Can't control range of search function

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 286 times
United States of America

Can't control range of search function

Post by Peobody »

I have struggled with the Basecamp search function since I started using it. A recurring issue that I am finally asking for help with is that the POI's listed when I do a search is almost always significantly less than the number of blue balloons visible on the map. My procedure is a follows:

1. Use the Zoom function to zoom in on the area I want to search
2. Ctrl+Alt+F to open the Find Options window
3. Set location to "Center of View"
4. Select Category then Subcategory
5. Click the Search button

What I know is that the search is no longer limited to the area selected by the Zoom function. This used to work but not any more, or maybe there is a certain condition under which it works that I can't figure out. The resulting problem is that the POI results list may only show one even though dozens are shown on the map. I assume that problem is associated with too many POI's being found. Does anyone know what I need to adjust in settings or to do during a search in order to control the area of the search?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
sussamb
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 358 times
Great Britain

Re: Can't control range of search function

Post by sussamb »

BaseCamp does an initial search which normally gives up to 5 points IIRC. You can then click on the 3 dots above the list it produces and it will search further afield and produce a longer list. It may also produce an even longer list if you tap the 3 dots a second time, but I'm not sure if I dreamt that 😁
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Duplicate listings of POI's is common but while trying to figure out my list display problem I noticed that the POI's listed stop at the first one that has 4 listings. I say for because the number in the map balloon is always 3 higher than the number in the list. Below is a screenshot. Cause? Solution?
Basecamp POI oddity.JPG
Basecamp POI oddity.JPG (78.39 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Post by Iris »

^^^^^ Hey!!!! I know where that is :-)
We live in Greer, SC - very close by.

Sorry for the off-topic comment. I couldn’t help myself.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Peobody wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:50 pm Duplicate listings of POI's is common but while trying to figure out my list display problem I noticed that the POI's listed stop at the first one that has 4 listings. I say for because the number in the map balloon is always 3 higher than the number in the list. Below is a screenshot. Cause? Solution?
Tap the 3 dots. That will expand the list.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I'm pretty sure this will be of no help whatsoever but....

I gave up long ago using Base Camp for searching for anything. It is so far behind the times and convoluted that it's basically useless. I use Google or other to search & locate, then place a new waypoint in Base Camp.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

sussamb wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:27 am Tap the 3 dots. That will expand the list.
It doesn't. The list stops at whatever POI appears to have four entries. Sometimes it is the first entry like in my example, sometimes it is a POI that is further down the list. The crux of the problem is the four entries. Any thoughts about the cause of that?
FWIW, POI's with two entries are common and not a problem. I haven't seen a three yet so don't know if the listing problem is triggered at three or four.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:57 am I gave up long ago using Base Camp for searching for anything. It is so far behind the times and convoluted that it's basically useless. I use Google or other to search & locate, then place a new waypoint in Base Camp.
I agree that Basecamp can't be solely relied on. Verification of Basecamp POI's with Google Maps is my approach. I may have to resort to that almost every time if I can't resolve my POI listing issue in BC.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Peobody wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:12 pm
sussamb wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:27 am Tap the 3 dots. That will expand the list.
It doesn't. The list stops at whatever POI appears to have four entries. Sometimes it is the first entry like in my example, sometimes it is a POI that is further down the list. The crux of the problem is the four entries. Any thoughts about the cause of that?
FWIW, POI's with two entries are common and not a problem. I haven't seen a three yet so don't know if the listing problem is triggered at three or four.
Never seen the issue you mention so can't help further, sorry
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I made some progress although I don't know which of the following made the POI list behave more like what I was used to.

1. I rebuilt the ProduceDataCache by renaming it. This made an obvious change whereby the POI restaurant that I showed in my screen snip as being listed four times was now only listed twice.

2. I then discovered that the tighter the zoom the better the POI list behaved. The zoom adjustment was done using Ctrl+mouse wheel.

I am feeling a little better now.