TFT - Cardo - GPS pairings

Got any questions about Audio, Headsets and Earplugs then please use this section.
Sleuth
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 16 times
Belgium

TFT - Cardo - GPS pairings

Post by Sleuth »

Hello all,

I eventually jumped ship with my intercom (Sena SMH10) and switched to the New Cardo PackTalk Edge.

From what I had learned from YouTube etc is that the TFT does not play nice with Intercoms and a GPS. (I have a BMW Navigator 6.) However if you set it up correctly, it can be persuaded to be nice to everyone.

This is what worked for me:

1. Delete all Bluetooth pairings from the devices (GPS, Phone, TFT etc)
2. With the GPS disconnected from the bike Pair the headset to TFT.
I paired the headset in Bike mode.
3. Turn the bike & headset off
4. With the headset restarted, Pair the headset to the GPS
I paired the headset in GPS mode
5. Pair the phone to the TFT with the phone contacts etc, being shared
6. Pair the phone to the GPS without the phone contacts etc, being shared
7. Pair the headset to the passenger

If you need to use the app, then with the bike, and GPS turned off, pair the phone to the headset as a phone (default mode.) When you are finished - unpair the headset on the phone side, so that the connections for GPS, and TFT are un-disturbed (hopefully.)
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT, BMW Navigator IV
Maps: Europe NTU 2024.10
Software: Basecamp (4.7.4) & Mapsource (6.16.3)
Computer: PC (Windows 11 Home)
Motorcycle: BMW R1200GSA (2020)
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: TFT - Cardo - GPS pairings

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for posting this info @Sleuth

Can I ask what you mean by TFT, please ? I'm confused because the Zumo XT uses a TFT liquid crystal display, and I can't see how that can cause interference. Also, its not something that you can pair to.

I was looking in for info on how well the Cardo Packtalk Edge works with phone, Xt and pillion.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

He means the TFT display on bmw bikes :)
skellum
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by skellum »

"I was looking in for info on how well the Cardo Packtalk Edge works with phone, Xt and pillion" By jfheath

I have the Packtalk Edge and have found that if I connect it directly to the XT using the GPS setting and then also connect my iPhone to the XT, then all works fine, telephone calls are made/received via the XT and music can be played again via the XT from either the memory card on the XT (MP3) or from my iPhone playlists. Mesh Intercom is then used for communication.

(I found that if I also connected my iPhone to the phone channel on the Packtalk Edge as Cardo suggest, it raised some issues, so I now just use the above method and do not connect my phone to the edge)
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Many thanks @skellum

That is exactly how I hoped it would behave - with the XT at the centre of operations. Most people seem to describe connecting the phone to the packtalk - which is what I find causes them other problems.

So if I want to talk to my pillion, Do you know if they just have another Packtalk Edge and connect it straight to my Packtalk
eg On a diffferent BT channel ?
eg As if talking to other riders ?
- or is that the Mesh Intercom that you mentioned ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

@Sleuth I'm not sure if its the same on the GSA but on the RT there was a software update that fixed a lot of connectivity bugs with the TFT it might be worth checking to see if this affects your TFT too
skellum
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by skellum »

by jfheath
So if I want to talk to my pillion, Do you know if they just have another Packtalk Edge and connect it straight to my Packtalk
eg On a diffferent BT channel ?
eg As if talking to other riders ?
- or is that the Mesh Intercom that you mentioned ?

Yes, although the Packtalk Mesh system allows you to connect up to 15 riders, you can also create a 'private' connection to your pillion - I also believe you can share music with your pillion if you wish.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Brilliant - Thanks @skellum . Excellent information !

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have a Packtalk Bold Duo which is a pair of communicators pre-configured to communicate with each other. The Packtalk Edge is an improved version of the Bold but I haven't seen it sold in the pre-configured two-pack. Music sharing was added to the Bold in recent update but I was unable to get the pillion volume loud enough for it to be considered functional. Hopefully that has been improved on the Edge (one marketed improvement is higher overall sound volume). BTW, the Bold Duo can easily be configured to add another rider or group separate from the pre-configured connection. I am surprised by not seeing an Edge Duo.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Post by alan sh »

Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes