Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Heat seemed to afffect my XT

Post by Peobody »

On the last day of my recent trip I stopped for lunch and stowed the XT in a fairing pocket rather than the trunk where I normally put it. I pressed the power button before putting stowing it which I normally don't do. When I took the XT out of the pocket ir was hot to the touch. I then could not get it to power up, not by putting it in the cradle and starting the bike nor with its power button (long holds and repeated short presses). When I got home I brought in the house and let it sit while unpacking, starting laundry, and washing the bike. When I returned to it several hours later it started up with a long hold on the power button. All seems fine with it. I have ridden with it in +100 degree temps without a problem so am really dumbfounded by this failure. Has anyone experienced similar?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Fallguy67
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Re: Heat seemed to afffect my XT

Post by Fallguy67 »

According to the the manual, the Operating temperature is a range From -15° to 55°C (from 5° to 131°F)

Depending on the outside temperature, I could easily see it getting above 131°F in a small compartment.

I haven't had this problem with the XT, but I have with my phone, just from direct sunlight if it is in it for too long.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Fallguy67 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:57 pm According to the the manual, the Operating temperature is a range From -15° to 55°C (from 5° to 131°F)
Exceeding 131°F is a real possibility. It was on the cradle during the ride home and never started up so there must be something that prevents auto-startup from external power even after cool down.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I noticed that after tucking my XT into my fleece chest pocket over lunch, that it came out VERY sensitive to anything that came anywhere close to it. It returned to normal in about 5 minutes - by the time I was ready to move off.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

My ghosting issue would only happen when the unit got hot!

was fine if it had airflow but as soon as it got hot all sorts of strange things happened

It was exchanged for another one