Importing a GPX file via Garmin Drive (android)

Got a question that doesn't fit in to any other category? Then please use this section.
Coolio
Great Britain

Importing a GPX file via Garmin Drive (android)

Post by Coolio »

Hi Gents, new here and first post, so please be gentle. I’m trying to import a GPX file that someone created using basecamp, I believe it’s been planned as a route.
When I click on the file and send to Garmin Drive, it sees the file and apparently sends to the XT, but when I turn on the XT, nothing is seen in “trip planner”, “saved trips”, am I doing something wrong?

I’ve created another trip and saved it and I have two other trips listed in there which have been transferred via Basecamp (wired to PC).
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Importing a GPX file via Garmin Drive (android)

Post by jfheath »

Welcome @Coolio

Your Zumo XT needs to be paired by Bluetooth to the device on which you have Garmin Drive Installed.

When you send a route via Drive, within a few seconds (or more if it is a big file), the XT should flash up a message saying that it has stored various items - one message for any trips, one for any tracks and one for any favourites. The message tells you where to find them (In Trip Planner, in the Track App, and in Favourites / Saved locations.

If the Zumo screen isn''t illuminated, the files are not transferred until the XT is turned on. Note that there may be delays in drive sending it and in the ZUmo receiving and processing it. Keep an eye on the screen messages on the phone and on the XT to make sure it has arrived OK.

I thinl that you are doing everything else OK from what you said.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

When using Garmin Drive to transfer a route, does the route still need to be imported on the XT?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Coolio
Great Britain

Post by Coolio »

Many thanks for the response jfheath, I can confirm the Zumo is paired to the Samsung S20 phone and when I open the GPX file via Drive, it does say “do you want to send to zumo”, but nothing happens on the zumo when I send it.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:12 am When using Garmin Drive to transfer a route, does the route still need to be imported on the XT?
No. Not on mine. It is placed as a separate file in the gpx folder, so it is available to import, but the transfer from drive results in it being imported automatically.

@Coolio It might be worth seeing if the route can be imported. Also note that it can take quite a while for Drive to transfer the file and for the XT to process it, during which time the XT has to be on. You may need to prevent the Xt from turning itself off. Change the display time-out, or plug in a power cable.

Also try emailing a smaller file. eg just send a couple of waypoints. See what happens then.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Coolio
Great Britain

Post by Coolio »

Thank you.
Following your advice, I’ve downloaded another GPX file from Ride Mag, tried sending that (just in case its something to do with the file).
I’ve changed the display settings on both phone and zumo to remain on. (Been in for 10mins).

Also, looking at Garmin explorer, it says there’s one unsupported device, zumo xt, does this give any indication or the situation?
Coolio
Great Britain

Post by Coolio »

All sorted thank you guys. Installed the Drive app on an iPhone and the files transferred, so had got to be something to do with the app installed on the S20, so uninstalled/reinstalled it and the GPX files now transfer ok.
Next question, do you guys generally enable “background location” and “location” in app permissions???
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

It was more than likely down to a permissions issue

As for location yes I always have the location enabled
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Glad that is sorted.

Yes - allow location - it needs it in order to relay road traffic, closures, weather information to your Zumo. If there is a choice, I usually say - only when using. But since Drive is always running in the background.....