Problems transferring route from Basecamp to SatNav

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Shirty
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Problems transferring route from Basecamp to SatNav

Post by Shirty »

Hi,

I have encountered issues with routes that I create in Basecamp after I transfer it to the SatNav unit (Zumo 395).

When I select the route in the Trip Planner the SatNav appears to use the start & destination points but then creates its own route, ignoring the details on the transferred route, other than the start/end points.

I'm sure its something simple that I'm doing wrong, but it's really annoying!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Shirty
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Re: Problems transferring route from Basecamp to SatNav

Post by rbentnail »

Are you sure you're using enough points in between? That was my problem several years ago when I started out. On some route sections I find a point is needed every 3 to 5 miles to keep the route the way I want it.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Shirty
Great Britain

Post by Shirty »

Thanks for the tip,

I had deleted most of the shaping / way points in basecamp and the route remained unchanged after doing so,. I was a bit miffed when it didn't follow the route after transferring it!!

Cheers
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Shirty wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:49 pm When I select the route in the Trip Planner the SatNav appears to use the start & destination points but then creates its own route, ignoring the details on the transferred route, other than the start/end points.
If you transferred Via Points (alerting) and Shaping points (non-alerting) from Basecamp, then Basecamp should receive them and show them in the trip list (as orange flags and blue discs respectively).

If you transferred only Shaping Points, then they should show up in the trip planner list OK - as blue circles - but when you say Go!, only the start and finish is displayed. It then asks you to select the next destination. This is an odd question to ask because obviously you want to reach the end of the route, but what it means is - which of the following list of route points do you want me to take you to first. It lists only Via Points (which for some reason on this occasion, they have decided to refer to as 'Destinations'). Whichever point you select, it will navigate you to that point using its own calculation, and then follow the plotted route from there. If you choose the last point, it basically ignores your route andcalculates a route to get you to the end.

Usually you want to choose the start point as the next destination - but it really helps if you make the start of your route be on a road that you will pass through after you have got on the bike and started moving. I put my start points beyond a town's ring road if I am staying in a town. At home, I will always put it a mile or so up the road. Give the stanav chance to get a good satellite fix. It will pass through the start, and then continue to navigate the rest of your route.

If the Trip List in the Zumo does not show show anything but the start and finish points, then it is possible that your route contained only shaping points and that these have been stripped out on transfer - check the options in Basecamp -> Edit -> Options -> Device Transfer. Untick all of those boxes. Then click the grey button at the bottom that says 'Apply to All Devices'. Give the route a new name and transfer that. Try again.
Shirty wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:04 pm I had deleted most of the shaping / way points in basecamp and the route remained unchanged after doing so,. I was a bit miffed when it didn't follow the route after transferring it!!
This is something that worked for Russ really well, but he does have particular problems in that the maps seem to be very out of date for North Carolina.

If the maps are the same on the Zumo as they are on Basecamp, then the original route should transfer and be adhered to by your Zumo.
One option is to stop it recalculating if you deviate from the route. The satnav will go quiet, and it is up to you to find your way back to the magenta line. It remains drawn on the map and your position is also shown. As soon as you rejoin the route, then the satnav springs back into life and start issuing instructions again. Unless you have ridden past a Via Point (flag) - in which case you will have to press the Skip Button to stop it from taking you back to it. Its OK to have missed out shaping points though.

@rbentnail - Am I right in thinking that you had a Zumo 39x ?? If so, is the document on using the 590/595 with Basecamp any good for the 39x Zumos ?
If it is, I can send @Shirty a copy of it if he sends me a private message with an email address ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Shirty wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:04 pm Thanks for the tip,

I had deleted most of the shaping / way points in basecamp and the route remained unchanged after doing so,. I was a bit miffed when it didn't follow the route after transferring it!!

Cheers
Hold on a minute, let me see if I get this right. Using Base Camp, you made a route. You then stripped "most of the shaping / way points" from it. Upon transfer the device changed the route. Of course it did! And it always will if there aren't enough points to force the device to follow the route. It doesn't matter what the route looks like in Base Camp. Base Camp routing decisions and device routing decisions are two entirely different things. Your route when transferred must have enough points for the device to be forced to follow your desired route, enough that there are no other options but for it to follow the route.

Again, it makes no difference what the route looks like in Base Camp! I bet if you put the points that you removed back in, your device routing will more likely be correct. This is one of those things that I have found become second nature when creating and transferring routes. You figure out with experience how many points you need where when because the device changes the route. Keep plugging away and stop removing points. If anything, add more!
Last edited by rbentnail on Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

jfheath wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:56 pm @rbentnail - Am I right in thinking that you had a Zumo 39x ?? If so, is the document on using the 590/595 with Basecamp any good for the 39x Zumos ?
If it is, I can send @Shirty a copy of it if he sends me a private message with an email address ?
No, I've never had a 39x model. It seems obvious to me that shirty is causing the problem by removing via and shaping points from his route and expecting it to always remain the same. It won't, it never has, and it never will. We all know that. The device will ALWAYS decide its own way unless there are enough points to force it to go differently.

A wise man once asked me a question when I was seeing the same thing, "if you remove any one point from your route, will the route change? If so then you aren't using enough points."
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
Shirty
Great Britain

Post by Shirty »

Hi,

Thanks for the insight, I understand the concept now!!

Cheers
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Sorry, Russ - I remember working out that weird N.C. map issue with you very clearly, but for some reason I've confused your device with someone else that I was helping.

Removing all of the points ? I agree - that is what it sounded like reading the post, but if he had removed the points in Basecamp, the route would have recalculated in Basecamp before well before transferring. He didn't mention that, so I dismissed that as a possibility.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Yes, I thought also what that means, "stripping....points". If the points are in fact being deleted from the route then certainly the route will change. And as we know, just because the route shown in Base Camp is what we want there is no guarantee that the device will show the same route unless forced to do so with more points. Stripping, removing or deleting points is exactly the opposite of what needs to be done. I believe also that after points were removed in Base Camp, if a recalculation were performed the route would have changed there too.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
Shirty
Great Britain

Post by Shirty »

It certainly seems obvious that removing all the point's would allow the route to be recalculated.
However each time I deleted one, the program performed a recalc & if it deviated from the route I intended I reinstated the point.
I would point out there were points left in the route, I just reduced the number, probably my need for tidying up!!

I will try doing a recalc of the route in basecamp and see what happens 😊

Presumably using the recalc option once I've completed the planning just confirms that the route is as I intend it?

Cheers