Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Route planning frustrations!

Post by Peobody »

Here in the U.S. the options are "Interstates", "State Highways", "Major Highways", "Residential Roads", and "Unpaved roads". Avoiding unpaved road is a necessity to me. I don't want the XT routing over one and in BC they aren't easily identifiable when a route line is running over them. Avoiding any of the other ones is impractical in BC because it makes it almost impossible to route over one when you want to. I currently have "Unpaved Roads" set as the only avoidance in both. I have BC set for "Faster time" but have changed my XT to "Shorter distance". The "Shorter distance" setting remains untested so is not a recommendation. It is just a knee-jerk reaction to the XT routing when set to "Faster time". You will be hearing from me if it bites me in the butt. It has been hot here so I don't know when I will choose to test it. My urge to ride will have to exceed my willingness to tolerate the heat.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
fatfeet
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

you may now think you no longer have all the answers but you are mistaken, you are still very knowledgeable, and I for one use your findings a lot, and the other guys on here.

I like you am happy for the XT to take me to point X by the fastest route, however most of the time I use it for routes that I have designed, using mostly shaping points with the odd via point in case of diversions etc. I really only have 1 or 2 via points, usually where to get off for a leg stretch. I do this as I know which via point I have or haven't reached.

If I have to follow a dreaded umleitung, then when I finally get back to the original road I know which way to turn to continue on my original route, on occasion I have turned the way the nav told me go, only to go back to the closed road AARRRGGGGHHHH coz it wants me to cross over the via point, but if I already know I have passed over break 1 via point then I can skip to break 2 or 3. or I can stop the route and restart it to go to my nearest point as I know which via point I have passed and I can work it out roughly my position in relation to the route.

the seems to work for me and I have just finished a tour round Wales, Eire, and Scotland and this was used to good effect. I am always wary of the recalculate button, for obvious reasons.

I was not aware that BC avoidances are not sent to XT, must have missed that bit in your book.
to achieve, we must first attempt
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

fatfeet wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:27 pm you may now think you no longer have all the answers but you are mistaken, you are still very knowledgeable, and I for one use your findings a lot, and the other guys on here.
Thank you for that. And yes - I have a load of answers. With the XT, it turns out that some of them are wrong !
fatfeet wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:27 pm I was not aware that BC avoidances are not sent to XT, must have missed that bit in your book.
No - none of them appear in the gpx file.

I'm not surprised you couldn't find it - I've just spent 5 minutes looking for where I thought it was (Ch5) and it wasn't there.
It's on this page. Hidden away - I make a suggestion about unticking all of the boxes - and then later explain why. Its hidden in the explanation.
app.php/ZXT-P14

But Basecamp still sends the exact route that Basecamp created - whatever avoidances were ticked to create it, and that route will stay intact providing that the XT isn't allowed to recalculate it. And that is one of the big unknowns. When does the XT perform its recalculations? I know if the maps are different; if you press skip; if you deviate from the route - but I know that there are other times too, and I haven't found out when.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.